How Reversible Are Lip Implants?

I'm considering Lip implants. My mouth is small to begin with, and my lips -- especially upper -- are thin. I'm 57, so they're thinning more with age. I have an opportunity to get this done with a reputable plastic surgeon for free. They're new. How reversible is it? Will I look okay for a business trip in a week? Should I just get permanent liner instead and accept my thin lips?

Lip implants are reversible

+4

SurgiSil PermaFacial implants are a great way to enhance your lips.  They are placed in the office with local anesthesia.  You may have a little bruising and swelling that should be gone in 10-14 days.  Unlike permanent injectables, these implants can easily be removed if you do not like the result.  Lip liner will highlight your lips, but will not provide any enhancement.

Reversing Lip implants

+4

Allow me to add a cautionary note to the comments below.

I have seen several lip implants come and go. While they all come in with great marketing fanfare and are all billed as "permanent" none really are. Sooner or later they will ALL require removal. Before you ask your favorite cosmetic surgeon to put this greatest and bests implant in your lips, ask him/her (if they have been in practice for at least 10 years) what lip implants were his LAST favorites and what happened to all the patients who had that implant put in.

The reason these implants are attractive is the result is immediate, the procedure is rather simple and almost anyone can do it and the lips look great. At first. With time, each smile, each kiss buckles the implants and weird lip shapes appear. Some implants come to the surface and become visible - others erode through it. There is no future in these implants.

I would be skeptical of such implants as most Plastic surgeons are and prefer long lasting Injectables.

Hope I did not rain on your parade and that this was helpful.

Lip implants

+3

There are different types of lip implants. You may be asking about a silicone implant by Surgisil called Permalip.

First, you should be absolutely sure what kind and what size implant your surgeon is using. If you are having this lip implant, I have used it on several patients. It is relatively new and FDA approved. My patients have been very pleased. It is relatively easy to implant and comes in various lengths and 3 different diameters. Your surgeon will take measurements and discuss with you the proper size.

I did remove one in order to replace it with a different size. They are very easy to remove. You should expect some bruising and swelling after the surgery which increases over the first 2 days then decreases. In a week you should look fine but you may still be bruised, tender and swollen. If you want to replace volume, this is a good option.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Reversible Lip Implants

+1

Lip implants are reversible.  If you don't like them, they can be removed in an office setting.  We have had excellent results in my practice with the perma lip implants.  You are right, over time your lip begins to thin, which is very aging.   

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Lip implants a good option for permanent lip augmentation

+1

Getting things free is always somewhat risky. Why are you getting it free? Implants are reversible. You might have some healing issues after wards with lumps that may or may not be really visible.  But there are things you can do to reverse them so that they look natural fillers are one way of doing this with out implants.  Usually people do fillers first before proceeding to lip implants. Here is a video on a lip implantation procedure that might be of interest to you.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip implant, lip augmentation

+1
Not at all do you need to live with thin lips, especially if you have that great of an opportunity. If you have the Permalip silastic implant, it could always be removed without issues. I prefer using Alloderm that is much softer than Permalip implants but becomes integrated with your lip tissue and would be difficult to remove after several months.

Lip Implants are easily reversible if not done with fillers

+1

Lip implants are easy to put in and easy to remove and cost $1500-2000 per lip. Lips may bruise for a week and swell a lot initially but look good at 2 weeks usually.  Permanent lip fillers are generally a disaster waiting to happen but the implants are great and look natural.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon