Why Not Restylane or Juvederm While Pregnant?

I'm wondering if hyaluronic fillers can harm my unborn child? If so, how? From what I know about Restylane/Juvederm they are very natural and they stay in place in the area where they are injected. I have had treatment with Juvederm 3 times before, and I would really like to have another one on 1 ml while I'm pregnant. I know it's not recommended with any unecessary medications on pregnant women, but how could such fillers hurt my baby?

+1

Although there aren't any actual studies that show fillers would harm your baby, it isn't recommended having cosmetic procedures while pregnant or nursing,

Restylane and Juvederm during pregnancy

+1

You are correct to say that Restylane and Juvederm stay in place once they are injected. They do not migrate throughout the body. There are no documented studies that demonstrate how filler may affect one's pregnancy. That being said, it is better to play it safe and avoid them for the time being. You can always have a touch-up after your baby is born, and for now I would recommend waiting. I hope this helps answer your question, and I wish you well for the remainder of your pregnancy!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane/Juvederm injections are not recommended during pregnancy

+1

injections of cosmetic hyaluronic acid are not recommended during pregnancy.  There are no studies to show that it will affect the pregnancy but there is no reason to take a risk to your baby.  You will be glowing from being pregnant and should wait until after you have the baby.  You don't want to run the risk of getting an infection or a bleed or anything else that might impact your pregnancy.

Michele S. Green, MD

There is no evidence that hyaluronic acid injections will harm your baby.

+1

There is no evidence that hyaluronic acid injections will harm your baby. However, you cannot get botulinum toxin injections during pregnancy.

David Goldberg, MD

Restylane or Juvederm during pregnancy

+1

Because there are no published studies establishing the safety of these elective cosmetic procedures during pregnancy, it is recommended that you avoid them during your pregnancy and also if you decide to breastfeed.

Sam Naficy, MD

No elective procedures during pregnancy.

+1

It is usually recommended to avoid "elective procedures" during pregnancy.  There is probably very little risk to the baby, however, any form of stress can result in premature labor.  Kinda want to avoid such a thing.  Best of luck with the pregnancy!

Curt Samlaska, MD

Fillers during pregnancy?

+1

Cosmetic procedures, including neurotoxins, fillers, and lasers should not be performed during pregnancy. There are no studies to establish safety of these procedures during pregnancy. Since these are elective (not necessary) procedures, it is not worth the possible risk of harming the baby. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Miami Beach Dermatologist