How to Reduce Swelling and Bruises on Lips After Restylane?

I have had Restylane injections in my lips yesterday, it is still very much swollen and bruised. How long will this last?

I look terrible, and am very worried about going out in public. It has been almost 24hrs since the treatment and I see no reduction in swelling. Is there a way to speed up the reduction of swelling?

Side Effects- Restylane injected into lips

+1

Lips are one of the most sensitive areas to inject with Hyaluronic Acid. Swelling tends to last a few days after treatment to where bruising can last 7 to 10 days. Swelling of the lips tends to be the worst in the first 48 hours after you inject them.   Ice can help to reduce swelling post procedure- try to ice as much as you can.  Also, for future reference you may want to consider Arnica tablets 5 days prior to your procedure- this will help to significantly reduce swelling and bruising. 
If the swelling is severe, some dermatologists may use low dose prednisone for about 3 days to reduce swelling.
The good news is that Restylane works, and its safety record has been clinically documented and supported by robust clinical studies spanning over 10 years. Furthermore, since 1996, over seven million Restylane treatments have been successfully performed worldwide. Restylane is one of the most tried and tested dermal fillers and is recognized as the benchmark for safety.

Virginia Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and lips

+1

The lips are usually the most sensitive area after facial filler injections.  The facial swelling should go down in a few days.

Swelling and bruising on the lips after Restylane

+1

Restylane is a very popular and effective hyaluronic acid-base dermal filler. It has been used widely throughout the face for the correction of deep lines and wrinkles. Restylane can work quite well in and around the lips. Patients may experience swelling and bruising after such an injection. In our practice, we provide our patients with ice packs and instruct them to place a cold compress on the lips for the first 1 to 2 days. Most of the swelling and bruising should dissipate by that time. If you continue to have bruising and if it becomes worse with redness, return to your doctor for evaluation so that they can determine the cause of these symptoms

Pat Pazmino, MD

Bruising & Swelling with Restylane - Prevention and Intervention

+1

Using cosmetic dermal fillers in the mouth area can lead to a very pleasing outcome. However, bruising is not uncommon. We believe in educating patients prior to their treatments on things they can do, or not do, to help minimize or avoid bruising. Not only can bruising in the mouth be a problem, but swelling as well. Check with your physician or the link below to find helpful hints to prepare you for an injection treatment. If the bruising/swelling already occurred, below are some suggestions:

*Avoid massaging after injections because this can lead to more swelling or even lead to delayed bruising.

*Cold compresses such as frozen pea bags are very helpful within the first 48 hours - intermittent icing.

*Notify your practitioner of your condition so that they may be made aware and have an opportunity to make suggestions.

*Contact your practitioner if the swelling is not progressively resolving and/or it is getting progressively worse.

*Early intervention goes a long ways in minimizing this response. Make certain that your injector uses a slow, gentle technique, provides icing throughout the procedure for comfort and to minimize bruising/swelling.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Warm compresses and Arnica Montana

+1

Standard instructions after treatment with fillers, lips or other locations, consists of cold or ice packs. After 48 hours compress the area with luke warm compresses 2-3 times a day for 10-15 minutes. You might try Arnica Montana gel too. Apply this twice a day. I would also have your physician take a look at this to make sure nothing more untoward than bruising develops. Next time, eat some pineapple before going in. The bromelain in it might help to an extent to prevent bruising. In 4-5 days you should be recovered.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Bruising and Swelling From Restylane Injections or Trauma from a Boxing Kangaroo

+1

Good Day Oz,

Sorry about the swelling of your lips after the Restylane injections. Looks like you were hit by a boxing 'roo. My lips (and nose) looked like that when an Emu poked my camera while I was trying to take a photo while visiting your lovely city.

You have suffered some bleeding and a hematoma has formed. During the first 48 hours, ice is best, then for the next 48 hours warm compresses are best. Usually bruising such as yours resolves within 5 to 7 days.

Do discuss this with your injecting physician. I hope that your swelling and bruising resolve quickly. Good day, mate.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD