How to Reduce Swelling and Bruises on Lips After Restylane?

I have had Restylane injections in my lips yesterday, it is still very much swollen and bruised. How long will this last?

I look terrible, and am very worried about going out in public. It has been almost 24hrs since the treatment and I see no reduction in swelling. Is there a way to speed up the reduction of swelling?

Side Effects- Restylane injected into lips

Lips are one of the most sensitive areas to inject with Hyaluronic Acid. Swelling tends to last a few days after treatment to where bruising can last 7 to 10 days. Swelling of the lips tends to be the worst in the first 48 hours after you inject them.   Ice can help to reduce swelling post procedure- try to ice as much as you can.  Also, for future reference you may want to consider Arnica tablets 5 days prior to your procedure- this will help to significantly reduce swelling and bruising. 
If the swelling is severe, some dermatologists may use low dose prednisone for about 3 days to reduce swelling.
The good news is that Restylane works, and its safety record has been clinically documented and supported by robust clinical studies spanning over 10 years. Furthermore, since 1996, over seven million Restylane treatments have been successfully performed worldwide. Restylane is one of the most tried and tested dermal fillers and is recognized as the benchmark for safety.

Virginia Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising & Swelling with Restylane - Prevention and Intervention

Using cosmetic dermal fillers in the mouth area can lead to a very pleasing outcome. However, bruising is not uncommon. We believe in educating patients prior to their treatments on things they can do, or not do, to help minimize or avoid bruising. Not only can bruising in the mouth be a problem, but swelling as well. Check with your physician or the link below to find helpful hints to prepare you for an injection treatment. If the bruising/swelling already occurred, below are some suggestions:

*Avoid massaging after injections because this can lead to more swelling or even lead to delayed bruising.

*Cold compresses such as frozen pea bags are very helpful within the first 48 hours - intermittent icing.

*Notify your practitioner of your condition so that they may be made aware and have an opportunity to make suggestions.

*Contact your practitioner if the swelling is not progressively resolving and/or it is getting progressively worse.

*Early intervention goes a long ways in minimizing this response. Make certain that your injector uses a slow, gentle technique, provides icing throughout the procedure for comfort and to minimize bruising/swelling.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

This should be temporary.

It’s unusual for patients to develop significant bruising and swelling following the use of injectable fillers. Never the less this complication may occasionally occur following these injections. Bleeding, bruising and swelling aren’t usually related to the filler material, but instead are related to the injection technique and the patients’ clotting mechanism.
When this situation arises bruising and swelling usually resolve in 7 to 10 days, but may last as long as three weeks following the procedure. Under these circumstances, anything that minimizes the inflammatory response might speed the process. Ice and steroid treatments might be helpful for this reason.
It’s important to discuss this issue with your specialist. It’s also important to understand that although this event was unfortunate, it should only be a temporary problem.

Swelling and bruising of the lips after Restylane injections, Connecticut

Swelling and bruising of the lips after Hyaluronic Acid injections, such as, Restylane, is common. Although everyone will experience different degrees, it can be expected. The best post treatment plan is to use cool compresses, and avoid alcohol use for the first 24-48 hours. I usually recommend taking Advil after the first 48 hours and do not rub or massage the area, as that could lead to more swelling and bruising.  The swelling should improve in a few days! For patients that are prone excessive swelling and bruising, I recommend them to avoid anti-inflammitory medications for about 7-10 days before any injectable procedure.

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after lip injections with filler

Swelling after injection is not uncommon, but you appear to have more than the average.  We ask that our patients take no aspirin or Ibuprofen ahead of time,  We then use aa very gentle, slow technique, and instruct the patients to use topical arnica gel, and to ice intermittently.  
     Once the swelling or bruising sets up it takes a good 7-10 days to get better.  Hang in there , talk to your physician and best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and bruising after Restylane

Swelling is normal. You can expect swelling to last for one to two weeks, depending on  how your body reacts to the treatment. Keep your head elevated to help ease swelling, particularly when sleeping. You can use a few pillows to prop your head up.You should also avoid exercising for one or two days after the procedure.

Swelling and bruising on the lips after Restylane

Restylane is a very popular and effective hyaluronic acid-base dermal filler. It has been used widely throughout the face for the correction of deep lines and wrinkles. Restylane can work quite well in and around the lips. Patients may experience swelling and bruising after such an injection. In our practice, we provide our patients with ice packs and instruct them to place a cold compress on the lips for the first 1 to 2 days. Most of the swelling and bruising should dissipate by that time. If you continue to have bruising and if it becomes worse with redness, return to your doctor for evaluation so that they can determine the cause of these symptoms

Pat Pazmino, MD

Warm compresses and Arnica Montana

Standard instructions after treatment with fillers, lips or other locations, consists of cold or ice packs. After 48 hours compress the area with luke warm compresses 2-3 times a day for 10-15 minutes. You might try Arnica Montana gel too. Apply this twice a day. I would also have your physician take a look at this to make sure nothing more untoward than bruising develops. Next time, eat some pineapple before going in. The bromelain in it might help to an extent to prevent bruising. In 4-5 days you should be recovered.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Bruising and Swelling From Restylane Injections or Trauma from a Boxing Kangaroo

Good Day Oz,

Sorry about the swelling of your lips after the Restylane injections. Looks like you were hit by a boxing 'roo. My lips (and nose) looked like that when an Emu poked my camera while I was trying to take a photo while visiting your lovely city.

You have suffered some bleeding and a hematoma has formed. During the first 48 hours, ice is best, then for the next 48 hours warm compresses are best. Usually bruising such as yours resolves within 5 to 7 days.

Do discuss this with your injecting physician. I hope that your swelling and bruising resolve quickly. Good day, mate.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling treatment after injection

Swelling after injection depends on 2 factor.

first, related to the technic of injection.

second, on the area treated and the patient system.

to decrease swelling, before injection, try not to take any blood thinner like aspirin or ibuprofen.

during the procedure, ask for cannula, it can help diminish vessel trauma 

after the injection, use ice on the swelled area , keep head elevated, this should help a lot

Jacques Haddad, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon