Is It Possible to Remove Injectable Butt Augmentation Substance?

Around 2005 i had injections done in my buttocks and then again in 2006. Sad to say on both occasions it was not administered from a doctor. I'm unsure of what the substance really is. Since then My buttocks have formed discoloration and lumps. My left buttock has dropped tremendously so now i"m distorted. Is there something that i can do to fix this? I know i've made a terrible decision I'm really afraid.

Remove Injectable Butt Augmentation Substance?

+3

Unfortunately, at this stage of the game it may be best to leave it alone unless you encounter a more serious problem such as painful hardening and/or infection otherwise removal of the material can only be done by way of excision which can greatly deform the buttocks and leave large scars.  Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a direct exam and recommendation(s).  Good luck...RAS

Silicone nodules in the buttocks

+3

Silicone injections and silicone nodules in the buttocks can be treated effectively using conservative measures in the primary stage of treatment and surgical measures in the secondary and plateau phases of silicone treatment. I characterize these three phases as such:

Karamanoukian protocol for silicone injection treatment:

• Primary Phase - Conservative: Reduction of Inflammatory and Infectious Component of Silicone Injections
  • Secondary Phase- Maintenance of Inflammatory Component of Silicone Injections
  • Plateau Phase - Surgical Measures to Reduce Deformity

I routinely treat patients from Asia and South America with a similar problem. In your particular case, I would address the inflammatory component of your injections for at least six months and then transition to a corrective modality to remove th silicone nodularity.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Unknown Material Injected Into Buttocks

+2

I feel for you. This is a tough problem. In my past experience most of these injections are with liquid silicone. I dont know where they are purchased from but they are not medical grade. Plus free silicone injections into any part of the body is not a good idea.

The hyperpigmentation and the lumps are from the body trying to accumulate the free material into discrete areas and to get rid of them. They usually and eventually surface to the skin and start to drain. This may take many many years.

Leave it alone for now. The only was to fix this, if things get out of hand, is to remove the injected fat and then recontour and fill with deepethelialised skin and fat flaps. This is how I have treated these in the past.  

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Injectable synthetic materials in the buttocks is irreversible

+2

Synthetic injectable materials in the buttock are an irreversible procedure. This is no way to ever get it out as, unlike a solid implant, it is scarred in amongst the tissues over a broad area not just a single implant pocket. Trying to remove it would leave the buttock terribly scarred. The only reason to consider any form of excision is if an area starts draining, is painful, or gets infected. Otherwise, you are best to leave the buttocks alone and only treat areas that become symptomatic.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Silicone Injections into the butt

+2
Silicone, or other material that is injected into a butt (breasts, or other body area), is unsafe and not performed by any normal doctor that I am aware off.
There are many complications arising from injectable substances such as Silicone.  The biggest problem, however, is getting it out once it becomes a problem.  It cannot be liposuctioned out.  If removal is required, it is done by cutting out all the tissues where the silicone has spread.  This will leave a very visible defect.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Substance injected to the butt a very serious problem

+2

It would help to know what was injected into the tissue, I can only assume it was silicone. Silicone would act just like you have mentioned and if this is the case there is not a lot you can do. From my experience in dealing with direct silicone injections into the breast tissue I am worried for you. The silicone becomes encased and forms hard nodules with chronic inflammation. The silicone can not simply be suctioned out of the tissue. It is very destructive to operate and remove the tissue the is affected by the silicone.

If there is not any infection or pain or impairment I would recommend leaving it alone for along as possible. If you do not know what it is then it would be helpful to know what the substance was. A simple X-ray will be able to confirm if it is silicone as it has a very distinct appearance on the X-ray.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Removing buttock injections is a difficult situation

+2

It would be helpful to find out, what the heck is in there? Is it silicone, or a fat transfer, or something else? If you know, then share it with your doctor. If you do not know, and can not find out, an X-ray may be helpful, as some substances show up on X-ray, while others do not.

This has been present for a very long time, we should assume that this will be a more or less permanent solution unless something is done.

I think that liposuction may be of help to you. Before deciding on a surgical procedure however, it is esssential to find out what is in there so the procedrue doesn't stir up something.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Seek a plastic surgeon experienced in soft tissue buttock augmentation

+2

No doubt about it, you need a thorough exam. It might include x-rays to determine what substance has been injected. If it is at all possible to track down the individual who performed the treatment or just to have them send you records of the treatment, it might help.

The only person who can help you decide the options for treatment and what type of improvement you might have is a plastic surgeon experienced with soft tissue augmentation, particularly the buttock area.

Good luck. This is a tough situation.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to remove!!

+2

It might be very hard to remove the substance injected. I would try to leave it in place except if you have a bad reaction,infection etc..

I would recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, his clinical exam might access the value of a revision using fat grafting to smooth out the buttock area. Hope that helps!!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS