Is It Possible to Remove Injectable Butt Augmentation Substance?

Around 2005 i had injections done in my buttocks and then again in 2006. Sad to say on both occasions it was not administered from a doctor. I'm unsure of what the substance really is. Since then My buttocks have formed discoloration and lumps. My left buttock has dropped tremendously so now i"m distorted. Is there something that i can do to fix this? I know i've made a terrible decision I'm really afraid.

Remove Injectable Butt Augmentation Substance?

Unfortunately, at this stage of the game it may be best to leave it alone unless you encounter a more serious problem such as painful hardening and/or infection otherwise removal of the material can only be done by way of excision which can greatly deform the buttocks and leave large scars.  Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a direct exam and recommendation(s).  Good luck...RAS

Injectable synthetic materials in the buttocks is irreversible

Synthetic injectable materials in the buttock are an irreversible procedure. This is no way to ever get it out as, unlike a solid implant, it is scarred in amongst the tissues over a broad area not just a single implant pocket. Trying to remove it would leave the buttock terribly scarred. The only reason to consider any form of excision is if an area starts draining, is painful, or gets infected. Otherwise, you are best to leave the buttocks alone and only treat areas that become symptomatic.

Silicone nodules in the buttocks

Silicone injections and silicone nodules in the buttocks can be treated effectively using conservative measures in the primary stage of treatment and surgical measures in the secondary and plateau phases of silicone treatment. I characterize these three phases as such:

Karamanoukian protocol for silicone injection treatment:

• Primary Phase - Conservative: Reduction of Inflammatory and Infectious Component of Silicone Injections
  • Secondary Phase- Maintenance of Inflammatory Component of Silicone Injections
  • Plateau Phase - Surgical Measures to Reduce Deformity

I routinely treat patients from Asia and South America with a similar problem. In your particular case, I would address the inflammatory component of your injections for at least six months and then transition to a corrective modality to remove th silicone nodularity.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Substance injected to the butt a very serious problem

It would help to know what was injected into the tissue, I can only assume it was silicone. Silicone would act just like you have mentioned and if this is the case there is not a lot you can do. From my experience in dealing with direct silicone injections into the breast tissue I am worried for you. The silicone becomes encased and forms hard nodules with chronic inflammation. The silicone can not simply be suctioned out of the tissue. It is very destructive to operate and remove the tissue the is affected by the silicone.

If there is not any infection or pain or impairment I would recommend leaving it alone for along as possible. If you do not know what it is then it would be helpful to know what the substance was. A simple X-ray will be able to confirm if it is silicone as it has a very distinct appearance on the X-ray.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Removing buttock injections is a difficult situation

It would be helpful to find out, what the heck is in there? Is it silicone, or a fat transfer, or something else? If you know, then share it with your doctor. If you do not know, and can not find out, an X-ray may be helpful, as some substances show up on X-ray, while others do not.

This has been present for a very long time, we should assume that this will be a more or less permanent solution unless something is done.

I think that liposuction may be of help to you. Before deciding on a surgical procedure however, it is esssential to find out what is in there so the procedrue doesn't stir up something.

Seek a plastic surgeon experienced in soft tissue buttock augmentation

No doubt about it, you need a thorough exam. It might include x-rays to determine what substance has been injected. If it is at all possible to track down the individual who performed the treatment or just to have them send you records of the treatment, it might help.

The only person who can help you decide the options for treatment and what type of improvement you might have is a plastic surgeon experienced with soft tissue augmentation, particularly the buttock area.

Good luck. This is a tough situation.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to remove!!

It might be very hard to remove the substance injected. I would try to leave it in place except if you have a bad reaction,infection etc..

I would recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, his clinical exam might access the value of a revision using fat grafting to smooth out the buttock area. Hope that helps!!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

This is a very serious problem.  I do not know of an effective way of removing the substrate injected.  I assume it is free silicone, but we obviously do not know.  Conservative measures and surgical excision of nodules only as needed.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Remove Injectable Butt Augmentation Substance

Hello Tanyat2, thank you for your question.
As for your question, I can answer that was unfortunate the fact you have this substance injected into your buttocks.
Biopolymers ALWAYS should be removed, because you present at any time iatrogenic allogenosis and probably A.S.I.A. syndrome. The skin redness could be secundary to the liquid silicone and I dont recomend you treat with any type of energy as light (laser), Intensed Pulsed Light (IPL) that could increase the inflamatory activity.
Our plastic surgery center specializes in the treatment of Biopolymers injections (permanent fillers: liquid silione, Polyacrylamide Gel, PMMA, Biogel, Macrolane, Metacryletc.) to the face, buttocks and other soft tissue and its complications. We see patients that came worldwide who have complications arising from Biopolymers injections to soft tissues. The Biopolymers cause a severe inflammatory reaction that can cause permanent damage to the tissues known as Iatrogenic Allogenosis and an autoimmune syndrome (A.S.I.A. Syndrome). In our plastic surgery center, I developed the technique of resection of biopolymersin face, buttocks and lower back through video – endoscopy, a surgery made with minnimal incissions to treat patients with permanent deformities secundary to Biopolymers injections. Other techniques such as liposuction, VASER or LASER are absolutely ineffective in treating this type of situation.
I hope it has been helpful.

Spanish translation provided by doctor: 

Hola Tanyat2, gracias por su pregunta.
En cuanto a tu pregunta , puedo responderte que fue poco afortunado el hecho de haberte hecho inyectar esta sustancia en tus gluteos.
Los biopolimeros SIEMPRE deben ser retirados pues presentarás en algún momento alogenosis iatrogénica y probablemente Sindrome de A.S.I.A.
El enrojecimiento que presentas en tu piel seguramente es secundario a la silicona liquida y no te recomiendo tratar esta área con ningún tipo de energia como luz (LASER), luz intensa pulsada (IPL) que podria aumentar la actividad inflamatoria.

Nuestro Centro de Cirugía Plástica se especializa en el tratamiento de biopolimeros (rellenos permanentes: silicona liquida, poli acrilamida gel, PMMA, Biogel, Macrolane, Metacryl, etc.), inyectados en el rostro, glúteos y otros tejidos blandos y sus complicaciones. Recibimos pacientes de todo el mundo que presentan complicaciones originadas por la inyeccion de biopolímeros. Los biopolímeros causan una reaccion inflamatoria severa que puede causar daño permanente a los tejidos conocida como Alogenosis Iatrogénica y un síndrome de auto inmunidad (Síndrome de A.S.I.A.). En nuestro Centro de Cirugía Plástica, desarrollé una técnica de retirada de biopolímeros en el rostro, los glúteos y la esplada baja a través de video-endoscopia, una cirugía realizada a través de incisiones mínimas para tratar pacientes con deformidades permanentes secundarias a inyecciones de Biopolímeros. Otras técnicas como liposucción, LASER o VASER son absolutamente ineficientes en el tratamiento de esta situación.
Espero le haya sido útil.