Will Post- Facelift Staple Removal Improve Skin Tightening?

Will Removeable of Staples After a Facelift Improve the Tightness in my Face

Skin Staples and Face lift Tightness

+1
 Removing  Staples After a Face lift sill  Improve the Tightness in my Face perhaps a little. It will lessen the tension in the immediate area just a little at most. With time however your tissues will become more pliant and less tight.

Staple removal

+1

The tight feeling you describe is unrelated to the staples and will only improve with time - it can take months

Sam Naficy, MD

Face Lift

+1

That would depend entirely on where the staples are, and the tension on them.  I doubt the improvement will be substantial, but there are too many details missing to know for sure.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Facelift - Will Post- Facelift Staple Removal Improve Skin Tightening?

+1

I think you're asking if the feeling of tightness you have after a facelift will be improved (relieved) once the staples are out?  If so, then the answer is - not really.  It feels tight because (1) it IS tight, (2) swelling under the skin contributes to the tightness, and (3) some of the small nerves that go to the skin were cut as a part of the facelift and, as a result, you have some loss of feeling in the area.  For reasons that are unclear, that often translates into a feeling of tightness.  Once the staples are removed there will be only a slight release of tension.  The staples simply align the skin and are only in for a few days (around 10, usually).  The feeling of tightness will abate over time and you will eventually feel normal...but that's related less to the staples than to many other factors.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Staple removal after Facelift will not improve skin tightening

+1

The staples were used to close the skin and if used properly were not used in a way to tighten the skin during closure. The tightening was most likely done with sutures placed under the skin in the SMAS layer.

Hopefully there will be no change is skin tension after staple removal. If anything, if the staples were placed under tension, the skin could become looser.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Removing staples won't tighten skin after Face Lift

+1

No, removing the staples won't have any effect on the degree of tightening after a Face Lift.  It's just a quick way to close the incision and by itself offers no advantage or skin tightening proiperties.  Staples were used primarily for closure, within the scalp, but have been replaced with suture closure, in many instances, for a more aesthetic scar.

Staples are you're friends

+1

no, don't worry. they don't hurt coming out. and remember if its not tight now, when the swelling goes down you may feel too loose. hang in there.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

No, unfortunately removing staples will not improve tightness

+1

No, unfortunately removing staples will not improve tightness.  The tightness will continue to improve as you heal and the swelling goes down.  Good luck1

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Staple Removal and Skin Tightness after Facelift

+1

By "improve skin tightening" I assume you mean reduced skin tightness. Staple removal will have no effect. The skin tightness will decrease as swelling resolves. Some of that tightness is secondary to the temporary loss of skin sensation. 

Removing staples will not tighten face

+1

Removing your surgical staples won't produce further tightening of you face. This early from surgery you still have some healing to do in addition to swelling that will subside.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD