Should I Remove my Bandage and Let my Stitches Air out 4 Days After Mohs Surgery?

Just had Mohs surgery on my forehead 4 days ago. Can I take the bandage off for good and let the stitches air out now? Going to have them removed three days from now.

Removal of skin cancer in Los Angeles

+1

It is very important to follow your surgeon's instructions after skin cancer surgery. I perform many of these and have a wound care protocol that may differ from others.  The status of your scar will depend on how well you care for the incision. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Wound care

+1

Each situation is unique and only your surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as this.  In our practice we do remove the dressing after 1 day

Sam Naficy, MD

Removing bandages after surgery

+1

Generally, it is best to follow your surgeon's instructions for post care, as he or she will know what they did and what they are intending to happen. For most of my patients including Mohs patients, I have them keep the area covered as I left it, for about 2 days. After that I have them remove the bandage and clean the site with 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 water and apply Polysporin. To help wounds heal you want to keep them clean (free from scabs and dried blood) and moist (with Polysporin or Vaseline). Then I have them put a clean bandage back on. Mostly because I don't want the sutures to rub and frankly, because other people don't like to see sutures on people's faces. But really, follow your surgeon's post care instructions, or call and ask them.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Letting the Wound Air Out after Surgery

+1

Generally, it's an old wive's tale that you let the air get to a wound and it heals better. As a general rule, if you keep the wound clean, moist and covered, it will heal quicker and better. Your surgeon should have given you instructions as to how to care for the wound. I would follow them and if there is any reason to believe that the wound is not healing well or could be infected, contact your doctor.

Andrew Kaufman, MD