On Day 3 After Nasal Flap Surgery from Cheek to Side of Nose, It's Turned Black, Normal? (photo_

for basal cell, the flap has turned black ........ normal or not?

I suggest you see your physician

+3

It's hard to tell from the photo if this is bruising, coagulated blood, or something else. Just to be sure, you should contact your physician and go in to see him or her. Bruising from Mohs is definitely normal, but this does appear on the photo to be a bit more than that, so I'd just recommend you see your physician to be evaluated in person.

Mohs

+2

Thank you for the picture.  It is slightly hard to tell and I would definitely go to the doctor who performed the procedure to have him/her take a look at it.  Darkness after a repair such as yours can be due to bruising, or lack of blood flow to the area. Both can happen after surgery.  Each can be addressed by your physician.  Dr. Halem

Monica Halem, MD

Flap color change

+1

The pictures do show some color change ad only your surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as this

Sam Naficy, MD

Discoloration of skin flap

+1

It looks like the skin on the top of the flap has had some lack of blood flow. This may get better with time. Your surgeon will be able to evaluate the flap further, and advise you/treat you further.

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist

Discoloration After Flap Surgery

+1

The best option is to see the physician who performed the procedure. The location of the discoloration around the distal edge of the flap would suggest possible vascular compromise. In that case the flap may develop partial- or full-thickness necrosis, but other options are possible such as ecchymosis (bruising) or infection. The doctor who performed the procedure should be able to give you a firm answer as to the etiology of the discoloration and treatment options.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Discoloration Of A Flap After Surgery

+1

The healing process after skin surgery can take a number of months. In the days immediately after surgery, discoloration of the skin can sometimes be observed. Sometimes this can be attributed to bleeding under the skin or bruising in the area. Sometimes the blood flow to the skin flap is compromised and the skin does not receive the nutrients it needs. In these cases, the top layer of the skin flap can die in a process known as necrosis. If necrosis occurs, the skin will still heal, it just takes a bit longer than normal. There are things your doctor can do to minimize either of these side effects. I would call your doctor and ask him or her to evaluate the wound.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon