Recommendation on Super Food or Supplements to Take?

Hi, I will be having Ulthera procedure in a few weeks, and would like to know if I should take any supplements (i.e. vitamin C or collagen supplements like YouTheory) or consume food rich in vitamin C to help with the natural collagen making process post-treatment? Please let me know. Thanks so much!

Vitamin C and Ultherapy for facial lifting and tightening

+2

As Ultherapy, Pelleve, Thermage and Fraxel all help produce dermal collagen underneath the epidermis of the skin, and vitamin C is a necessary ingredient in the recipe to make new collagen in the body, it is not a bad idea to ensure that your vitamin C levels are normal by taking a supplement, provided that your internist / general practice physician approves it. However, excessive doses are not good either. Most patients are not deficient in vitamin C and their normal healing powers will suffice.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Supplements related to Ultherapy

+2

There have been no studies showing specific supplement therapies related to Ultherapy treatment. There are people however who believe that Vitamin C, as an antioxidant, can be helpful when patients are having surgeries and other procedures that require healing.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Supplements unlikely to make a difference with Ulthera

+2

Although I agree that a diet rich in bioflavanoids is very helpful in anti-aging, there are quite a few studies consistently showing no benefit to vitamin supplementation. Vitamin C does help with collagen production, which in theory could augment the results from Ulthera, but levels above what you get in a healthy diet do not increase collagen rebuilding. So yes on the healthy diet, but save your money on the vitamins and go for good skin care pruducts instead.

Richard Baxter, MD

Good nutrition is essential

+2

Optimize your health by discussing with your Ulthera practitioner any ongoing conditions, medications, implants, prior cosmetic surgery, including injectables and topical treatments, such as Accutane, retinols, etc.  (S)/he will identify those factors, which should be eliminated and conversely, complimentary adjuncts such as supplemental vitamin and nutrition.  Personally, I like a variant of the Paleo-Mediterranean diet, which is rich in anti-oxidants, Vitamins C, B & low fat.  You are correct in assuming that providing "building blocks", your results may be improved.  

Lavinia Chong, MD

Ultherapy in Los Angeles

+1

I ask my patients to use antioxidants and vitamin c during the post-care period after Ultherapy.

Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS