Should I Use a Nerve Block for Ulthera?

Hi, The doctor has using nerve block injctions with Ulthera (if I can't stand the pain), but was told we will be more prone to bruising. Is that true? Why is it? Are there other methods that can be used to alleviate pain? Please let me know. Thank you so much!

Nerve block for Ultherapy

+1
I have only had one patient since 2011 in whom I stopped after 10 lines of treatment and interesting, she was a physician. However, everyone else has had minimal discomfort with Ultherapy. I recommend conscious sedation if you are that sensitive and if you are that sensitive to pain and have concerns about bruising. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Pain Control for Ulthera

+1

You can have a comfortable Ultherapy treatment if you choose to have a nerve block. You are at an increased risk of bruising because we use a needle to inject the anesthesia.

Other options for pain control are to take 1gm of Tylenol and 800mg of Ibuprofen 1 hour prior to the start of the procedure as a non-narcotic option. Patients may also prefer to take valium prior to the treatment so that they do not anticipate discomfort.

Your doctor may also offer stronger pain medications if necessary to keep you comfortable during the procedure.

I also believe that limiting your treatment sessions to an hour promotes patient comfort. Trying to do much in a day can be fatiguing and patients just get tired and start to feel more pain even though the sensation has not changed.

Christina Steil, MD
Chicago Dermatologist