I Recently Had Botox Injection to Forehead and Now my Eyelids Hang over My. Eyes,will This Be Permanent?

Heavy Eyelids after Botox

+2

Hi LW.  Not to worry, this will correct itself after a short period of time.  One of the side effects of Botox injections is Ptosis.  This normally happens with less experienced injectors as injection technique and amounts are important in avoiding this problem.  We suggest you visit your injector to see if they can help with the problem by doing a "chemical browlift", but if you do not have confidence in your injector or they don't normally offer this service then it may be best to just wait.  Good luck.

Botox is temporary

+2

The mixed blessing of botox is that it is completely temporary. Your droopy eyelids will improve as the botox wears off. Your heavy eyelids are either from too much botox in the frontalis resulting in eyebrow droop or from botox traveling to the levator palpebrae superioris muscle resulting in a weak eyelid muscle. The former (heavy eyebrow) will improve as the botox wears off, but the latter (weak eyelid muscle) should improve within the next few weeks and can be improved with eyedrops called iopidine. I would revisit your injector to determine the cause of your droopy eyelid. Good luck! 

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Low brows

+1

Fortunately with Botox injections this look will not be permanent. This occurs when the forehead is overtreated and the brows drop. It is usually when people have horizontal wrinkles on their forehead and want to get a smoother forehead. The frontalis muscle elevates the eyebrows and causes the forehead wrinkles. By placing Botox in the muscle and over-weakening it the eyebrows will drop. This is an indicator that a browlift may be in your future if you want to have a smoother forehead. Rest assured though, your eyebrows will come back their normal position. Best Wishes. 

Manuel A. Lopez, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

No, Botox lasts about 3 months and the eyelids will return to how they looked before the injections.  Injecting Botox too close to the eyebrows causes the brows to droop which makes the upper eyelid more full.  Have a more experienced Botox injector next time to avoid that from happening.

Botox causes the brows to fall

+1

Botox weakens muscles. When injected in the forehead, it weakens the forehead muscle. That can cause the forehead/brows to fall in those people that have underlying droopy brows. The effect is temporary since Botox effect is temporary (about 3 months). You can consider forehead/brow lift in the future to address the underlying problem.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Heavy eyebrows after Botox will resolve

+1

Heavy brows after Botox is related to:  too low an injection, too much Botox, or unrecognized brow problems before injection. Many doctors are tempted to inject foreheads which have a lot of creases but don't realize that the patient needs to lift brows to keep excessive overhanging lids from obstructing their vision.  If they inject these people, they will have a wrinkle free patient but an angry one because of low lids/brows. Best to give very little or nothing to these patients. In all case this gets better though. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Droopy lids after Botox

+1

I agree with Dr. Cohen's comments.  There are also drops that can be placed in the eye (iopidine) to  reduce the symptoms of droop while you are waiting for the Botox to wear off if the levator muscles of the eyelid are involved.  The effects of the Botox should begin to get less noticeable in 4-6 weeks.  Hope this helps.

Marilyn Pelias, MD
New Orleans General Surgeon

Botox and droopy eyebrows

+1

Botox works by temporarily relaxing muscles.  If you have horizontal lines across your forehead, that get worse when you lift your brows, then Botox can help those lines.  The problem is that the muscles being treated are the same ones that lift your brows.  Treatment in that area takes a good deal of skill.  The key is getting the right dose injected in the right places so that the proper muscle balance is maintained.  The good news is that Botox is always temporary so this problem will wear off over a period of a few weeks to a few months.  You may want to ask your doctor if there is a way to adjust the treatment so your brows sit a little higher now.  Sometimes injection properly given under the eyebrows can cause a little lift.  Hope this is helpful.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon