How to Get Rid of Cheek Wrinkles? (photo)

I am 27 years old and have wrinkles on my cheeks when I smile. When I'm not smiling they are not as noticeable but they're still there. The right side of my face is significantly worse than the left side - I have no idea why. I'm very bothered by these lines. What is the best way to treat these wrinkles? Fillers/ botox/ lasers? I am currently using an over the counter retinol. Please help! Thanks!

Fine Lines on the Cheeks

+2

Hi Violet.  You are a good candidate for a hyaluronic acid based filler like Restylane, Belotero or Perlane.  You may also respond very well to fractional laser resurfacing.  The lines will not be permanently removed but rather diminished and improved with treatment.  If the issue is important to you, then consider one of these options.  

How to Cheek Wrinkles

+1

Based upon your pictures, these wrinkles correspond to laugh lines (which implicate skin-muscle attachments).  Skin care with products such as the one you are using will be beneficial but will yield minimal results.  Fillers, such as Juvederm and Restylane would be good options as well as 'thinner' fillers such as Expressions.  Fractional resurfacing with CO2 or erbium are also good options; focused ablative erbium laser on your skin will likely yield the best results.  Agreed with the others regarding the fact that you will have improvement but not total effacement of the wrinkles given the skin-muscle attachments.

Vish Banthia, MD

27 and Cheek Wrinkles, How to Treat?

+1

Everyone's skin ages differently and the reasons include genetics, environmental exposure to sun, dry cllmates, smoking status.  Since retinols are very useful for supporting skin function like hydration, collagen formation and repair, their use is widespread in many medical skin care regimens. Cleansing and exfoliating the skin help, in addition to the retinols. You may benefit more from a stronger than over the counter retinol, and your plastic surgeon could prescribe this.

Other treatments might include fractional laser, like fractional CO2 or erbium to smooth and tighen the skin.  Fillers are helpful, but since you are so young and would need them the rest of your life, it would be good to correct your skin health itself, not just use fillers.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Treating Cheek Wrinkles

+1

Wrinkles that develop in the cheeks are typically very difficult to treat. Botox can't be used in cheek lines because the muscles in cheeks are needed for natural facial movements. Fillers can make the area lumpy and lasers aren't as effective. Over-the-counter retinol will not be able to treat the wrinkles deep enough and will ultimately cause more frustration. In this case, a facelift is too drastic for the young skin of a 27-year old. It would be best to consult a board-certified dermatologist who specializes in cosmetic surgery, to better assess the wrinkles in person and come up with a treatment plan.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Cheek wrinkles

+1

If money were no object...then I would recommend a combination of an Active f/x Fractionated CO2 laser AND hyaluronic filler Belotero.  The CO2 laser provides long lasting results in which the collagen is stimulated and the lines fill in while the Belotero is a shorter term option in which the lines can be filled in with the injections.  The combined impact is far greater than either of these treatments alone.  On the other hand, if you are looking for something more economical, then I would start with Belotero.  Belotero is newer on the market so see someone who has experience with it. 

Laurie Jacobson, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

How to Get Rid of Cheek Wrinkles?

+1

These wrinkles with facial animation (smiling) are an indication of sun-damaged skin and skin laxity as indicated by the jowls.  At 27, you can do skin rejuvenation with a chemical peel or Laser or tighten the facial tissues with a minimal invasive Facelift.  Continued use of retinols can create skin irritation and increase the appearance of wrinkles as it dries out the skin.

Cheek Lines

+1

Hi Violet.  Thank you for your question.  You may continue with medical grade skin care.  Another option is facial filler.  Most likely, you will be best served by a hyaluronic filler such as Restylane.  Radiesse, which is calcium based, may be too bulky for this indication.  Hope this is helpful.  Regards, Andy Shah MD.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

HA and Sculptra fillers for facial lines and wrinkles are effective

+1

You have a few options - Sculptra might be a good choice for generalized facial volumization. HA fillers such as Belotero and Juvederm can be used closer to the surface of the skin to smooth these discrete 'dimples'. Seek the care of a board certified plastic surgeon for an opinion.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Fillers are an Excelllent Option for Wrinkles

+1

This types of wrinkles will need some "feathering" of a hyaluronic acid such as Juvederm, Restylane, or Belotero.  Due to the active component of smiling, these treatments will need  repeating as there is a lot of activity.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

The creases result from moving the underlying muscles and are a normal part of life...

+1

just like the creases just beneath your eyes when you smile...by adding some volume, any filler will diminish the appearance of the lines...whatever you and your doctor opt for will work quite well...juvederm, restylane and belotero would provide significant improvement, but your cheek muscles will still move and the lines won't permanently diminish...and by the way, your skin looks very nice...youthful...and refreshed...congratulations

Ken Landow, MD