Creating a New Belly Button During Tummy Tuck?

I'm curious as to the different ways to make a 'new' belly button during abdominoplasty. I've heard of different techniques. What kinds are there? I want minimal scarring on the outside and a realistic look. What kind of technique would create a realistic-looking belly button?

Umbilical appearance after tummy tuck

When performing a tummy tuck, the umbilicus is not recreated. It is left in place and the skin that sits over it iafter the excess is removed is opened up to allow the umbilicus to be set in place. Yes, there are different ways to do this but that is something to go over with your doctor in person.

Understandably, the appearance of the umbilicus is of great importance to many patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery; after all, it may be the only telltale sign of having undergone the tummy tuck surgery when the patient is wearing a swimming suit or undergarments. The umbilicus should be positioned carefully; if it is too high or too low, it may be a sign of tummy tuck surgery. Ifit is too round or slit like it may also look "surgical". Most patients prefer a relatively small and oval-shaped umbilicus. I hope this helps.

Many techniques for creating belly button during Tummy Tuck

There are many techniques to shape the belly button. If you are unsure, check out pictures of swimsuit models to see what appeals to you. There is no right or wrong answer here, but a study showed that a long narrow belly button was thought to be most attractive in a survey. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with a short round shape--it's up to you!

Good Luck!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

Possibilites for creating new belly button are "endless"

There are so many ways to "create" an umbilicus (belly button). First of all, the belly button is attached to the abdominal wall and is freed from the skin that will be removed. It stays where it always is on the wall, the repositioned skin in the incised and a variety of patterns which determines the shape, size of the "new" belly button. When you seek out your surgeon, make sure you see several photos of results so you can see if those results are what you might be happy with.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon