How Long Until I Feel Better After Cellulitis on Breast?

I have been in pain since Wed. Today is Sat. How long before I will be feeling better. The redness has went down a bit but,,, I have pain even up my arm now. I am on Leviquin 500. I am very scared. Where do I turn? My desease specialist I am seeing does not seem to be concerned. I am. This is the second time I have had this since being released for the hosptial.(I spent 1 week in there for this probem)ps. I have reconstructed breasts due to breat cancer. I had a bilaterial masectomy in 2008.

Recovery From Cellulitis of the Breast

+1

The information that you have provided leads me to be concerned that you may still have some residual infection present.  

I suggest that you see your plastic surgeon again and have some additional evaluation and some blood tests to determine if there are any signs that  you still have an infection.  

It may be necessary for your to have IV antibiotics and even have the breast implants removed to full treat the cellulitis.  

Once your infection is completely resolved and the involved tissues have healed and softened, a reconstruction of the breast can be redone.  While not for everyone, you may want to consider a flap breast reconstruction using your own tissues to make a warm, soft, natural breasts without need for implants.  There are a number of such options including TRAM flap,  and DIEP flap.   See   nybreastreconstruction.com   for more information.

Cellulitis of breasts

+1

A better description of the type of recosntrusctin would be helpful, but if you have recurrent cellulitis with implants you may need them removed, if this is autologous tissue, you may need to be admitted for IV anitibiotics. Foolow closely with your doctor.

Cellulitis after breast reconstruction

+1

It seems like you had breast reconstruction with implants.  Unfortunately, breast implants can be infected.  When breast reconstruction with implants get infected, I would like to treat that pretty aggressively with strong antibiotics (even IV).  Continue following your infectious disease physician's recommendation; however, you need to go see your plastic surgeon.  Your infectious disease physician may not be familiar with implant reconstruction.  Good luck to you.

Problem with Infection on Reconstructed Breast

+1

I'm guessing from your question that you had reconstruction of one side with an implant? back in 2008?  Its good you are seeing an infectious disease specialist.  But I would recommend you visit with your reconstructive plastic surgeon as well.  Your plastic surgeon will be able to address your concerns and provide you with options.

Web reference: http://www.breastreconstructionhouston.com

Recurrent Breast Infections after Breast Reconstruction

+1

I share my colleagues concerns. You are right to be worried.

As well meaning as your Infectious Disease specialist may be he is NOT a Plastic surgeon and does not think like one.
- WHY do you have recurrent breast infections?
- is there a source for those infections?
- are your breast implants infected? If they are, they may need to be removed to allow the infection to subside.

I suggest you see your Plastic surgeon as soon as possible and ask him these questions. Only he can advise you on the best course for you.

Dr. Aldea

Breast Reconstruction

+1

It sounds that your breast has an implant. But what is the exsact reconstruction method?

having had two episodes of infection is very concerning. You Plastic Surgeon should be in the loop of treatment and a decision regarding the implant need to be taken.

Cellulitis after mastectomy and implant reconstruciton

+1

There are many factors to consider such as that mentioned by Dr. Koobehi. You should be monitored for systemic signs of infection such as fever, WBC, etc. As long as the condtion is under control, it should not be a problem. Ultimately, you may require implant removal but that seems premature at this state.

Please see your doctor that did the recontruction

+1

You did not mention what kind of breast reconstruction you had. You need to see your surgeon. I am concerned that the pain extends to your arm especially if you had lymph node removal with your mastectomy

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon