Is It Possible to Put Cartilage Back into the Tip of my Nose to Lengthen It?

Hello, I had rhinoplasty surgery one month ago to remove a small hump and reduce the tip. I can appreciate that my profile now looks neater but I feel that from the front view the tip of my nose now looks too short and unbalanced for my face. I am so unhappy and feel like I have made a huge mistake. I realise it is too soon for a revision but it would really help me to know whether my nose could be made longer again and what are the chances of it going wrong? Thank you.

I think my nose is too short after Rhinoplasty, now what?

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and from the profile picture provided, the nose does not appear to be too short.  The tip is rotated at approximately 100 to 105 degrees with a shortened nasal tip defined by 115-120 degrees.  I have no photos of the frontal view but doubt it would change that dramatically.  IMHO, you should do nothing at this point but you may want to have this discussion with your Rhinoplasty surgeon before deciding on adding cartilage to the tip.

Frequently rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty is as much about adding as it is removing cartilage

+2

When I first learned rhinoplasty, it was all about remove, remove, remove. Humps were brought down to fit existing tips and tips brought down to match desired profiles. Current rhinoplasty techniques are more about adding to many areas such as the tip of the nose if it is deficient and might otherwise appear too small or blunted if only treated by a reduction technique. This is even more applicable to revision rhinoplasty where grafts are almost always used to maintain or restore lost structure.

Although, following previous rhinoplasty you should wait at least one year for healing to be finished before considering any revision surgery.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

It is possible to relengthen nose

+2

That's too bad that you're not happy with your results thusfar. I would give it time to adjust to your nose, but if need be there are methods to lengthen your nose again. It does require cartilage grafting.

The exact technique(s) used depends on your anatomy and exact goals (ie, how much lengthening you want).

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Increasing nasal projection

+1

Most people don't appreciate the aesthetic importance of nasal projection.  This could be accomplished during revision with a cartilage graft.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Early post op rhinoplasty result

+1

The post op profile picture you show is not a true profile as is the pre-op picture. You are turned towards the camera and one can see your eyelashes from  the other side in the post op picture, so a comparison is not accurate. Even on that view, the nose looks good and proportional. One cannot judge your front view without more pictures. You need to be patient and not so judgmental so soon after surgery. It will be months before most of  your swelling has gone down and probably a year before 95%  has dissipated. If you do want a revision after giving your nose the time to heal, cartilage is the graft of choice to lengthen your nose.

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

You only posted the profile pictures before and after. They look excellent.

You did not post the frontal view???which you are complaining about.

With the naso-labial angle on profile I dout that your nostrils now excessively show. .

You are too early after surgery wait one year for final critique.

I think you have a great results based on the pictures you posted.

I am sure you will find some one to operate on you, But you will Not get a better result