Best Procedure to Remove Saddle Bags?

I have had large outer thighs my whole life, despite diet and exercise. I am not overweight and never have been.I would appreciate a number of options as cost may be a factor.

Outer thigh saddle bags

+1

Consider skin as an envelope and fat as the contents. If there is excess fat but, good skin, liposuction is the answer. If there is significant excess skin, after weight loss you may also need a thigh lift. If there is a minimal amount of extra skin, then Vaser liposuction which incorporates heat plus ultrasound will provide a component of skin tightening.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Lipsuction for saddle bags

+1

Depending on the quality of the overlying skin of the thigh, liposuction is an excellent procedure to help contour the lateral thigh area.

If the overlying skin is loose or if you have had massive weight loss, then a lateral thigh lift or lower body lift would be the procedure of choice.

Difficult to say exactly without a proper exam.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Treatment of saddlebags: liposuction or lift

+1

IF your skin demonstrates excellent elasticity then liposuction is considered the best treatment for saddlebags.

IF your skin is suffciently lax then you may benefit more from a thigh and buttock with or without liposuction

IF your saddle bags are due to prominence of the greater trcohanter of the femur and'/or wide pelvis. there may be no satisfactory solution

Saddle bags and liposuction

+1

If you truly are not overweight far and away the best procedure for saddle bags is liposuction. The question then is what kind of liposuction -laser assisted, water jet assisted, radiofrequency or ultrasound assisted etc. Then within each of these categories each manufacturer will tell you their machine is the best in that categorie. Liposuction is no longer as simple as it used to be for the patient or the doctor. A few times a week I receive a solicitation from one of these companies to try, use, buy, lease their machine. There is no good scientific data that makes any of these stand out head and shoulders above the others. If there were the others would fade away from use.

What can be said for sure is this area is unforgiving if the surgeon is too aggressive. Dents in this area look atrocious. Also if the saddle bags are accompanied by massive weight loss such as after gastric bypass some of the fat needs to be repositioned higher up rather than just removing all of it in order to get an optimal result.

Aaron Stone, MD

Saddle bags

+1

Saddle bags can be treated very successfully by liposuction. This can be done as an outpatient procedure. Usually full activity can be resumed in 1-2 weeks.

Saddle bags require liposuction

+1

For 98% of patients who have fat deposits on the lateral thighs (saddle bags) the treatment is liposuction.  I have seen only 2 patients in my career who needed skin excision there but that leaves undesirable scars.  

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS