Do I Need a Prescription for the Eye Drops That Help with Droopy Eyelids After Botox?

Droopy eyelids and Botox

+1

If you have droopy eyelids from a relaxation of the levator muscle of the upper eyelid from diffusion of Botox in the forehead right above the eyebrow in vertical line with the pupil, then Iopidine may help lift the eyelid by 1 or 2 mm. only. The droop will be gone on its own if 12 to 16 weeks; it's not permanent.  If however, in some people, the drop of the eyelid is related to the eyebrow lowering.  These people can already have a saggy eyebrow and the forehead is used on a day-to-day basis to maintain contraction so as to elevate the eyebrow.  If Botox is used to relax the forehead in these patients, then it can no longer help support the sagging eyebrow and that along with the upper eyelid can drop. Iopidine will not help in this condition.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/botox/index.html

Prescription for Eyedrops after Botox?

+1

Hi Botox sux.  That name made me laugh.  Check with your injector about the prescription.  We suggest Iopidine.  Not sure how the over the counter as we have had only two cases of ptosis in the last 8 years so do not have to prescribe it a lot.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/botoxInjectionsBeforeAfterPicturesPhotos.aspx

Iopidine requires Rx, Naphcon-A does not

+1

Eyelid ptosis from Botox injections can be treated with a prescription medication, Iopidine, or a non-prescription alternative such as Naphcon-A.  Naphcon-A (naphazoline and pheniramine) is readily available in most pharmacies off the shelf, and is generally just as effective as Iopidine.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Perhaps not

+1

Iopidine is the prescription eye drops which are quite expensive.  I have heard from colleagues that before iopidine it's worth trying Naphcon (OTC) eye drops - which need to be put into the eye every few hours for the best effect.  I'd try this inexpensive alternative before getting the prescription from your physician.

Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

Droopy eyelid after Botox

+1

You would need a prescription for Iodipine drops to the eye but you would want this problem assessed first to determine which anatomic structure has been affected.  The good news is that this effect can typically wear off rather quickly after 3 weeks.  Consult with your plastic surgeon to determine which is necessary.  At the next treatment with Botox, the dosing may need adjustment and you definitely want to make sure this is done by experienced hands and not passed off to an assistant or technician.

Web reference: http://www.valleyfacialplasticsurgery.com

Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyedrops may not help a dropping eye after Botox

+1

You do need a prescripionf for Iodipine drops for your eye. You should follow up with your dermatologist.  First, so they can assess the issue.  That way they can alter your dose for the next time.  Secondly, it may not be the lid that is affected but it could be the brow.  It is important to differentiate this.

Toronto Dermatologist

Drops for droops

+1

Yes you need a prescription.  You can use something less expensive than Iopidine.  You can have your doctor write for a prescription of 1.25% phenylephrine drops (the usual concentration is 2.5%).  These are the same drops eye doctors use for dilating eyes but at a low concentration, they will elevate the lid with minimal dilation of the pupil. 

Tucson Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopiness of Eyelid

+1

Yes, you do need a prescripion to obtain Iodipine drops for your eye. I would suggest that you follow up with you doctor to let him/ her know that this happened. It is also important to differentiate between true eyelid droopiness, and droopiness of the eyebrow cased by injection of  the frontalis muscle of the forehead. Your doctor should easily be able to do this. In any event, both adverse reactions should resolve within several weeks.

Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Need Prescription of Iopidine

+1

I am assuming your question has been provoked by a ptosis or lid droop, sometimes dubbed a Quaz named for the legendary Victor Hugo character, or  Disney's portrayal of same.

In the early days of injections lid ptosis was reported in about 5% of patients being injected. As injectors have become more experienced the rate has fallen to about 3%. The Quaz occurs when Botox migrates to the levator papebrae muscle.  This muscle permits the eyelid to open fully.

Iodipine ( apraclonidine 0.05%) eye drops can be instilled into the affected eye. This causes Muller muscles to contract  which causes an elevation in the upper lid. 

It is suggeted that iopidine be used  1-2 drops, three times a day until the lid drop resolves. Resolution varies, depending on how much Botox was inadvertantly delivered.

Other agents which can be used for treating the ptosis include brimonidine and neosynephrine hydrochloride. 

All of these reequire a prescription.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.