Post Op Massage After Upper Eye Lid Surgery?

its been a week since my upper lid suegery, my ps removed stiches already two days ago, he instructed me to massage the inner corners my eyes two or three times a day and also told me to come back in a week to star massage on my lids , my question is if is it really needed ? never heard of that before, thank you

Massage after upper eyelid surgery

+2

Massage after upper eyelid surgery is a matter of preference by the surgeon.  Some surgeons may recommend it and others may not.  I would advise you to follow the instructions of your surgeon, since he has the most knowledge about your particular procedure.   

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massage after eyelid surgery

+1

Following eyelid surgery, massage is a preference of the surgeon.  Many times with lower blepharoplasty I have the patient massage the scar to help  mobilize and stretch it to prevent contracting.  Routinely on upper eyelids, massage is used in those with some fullness at the end of their incision.  However, each surgeon has different preferences and I would suggest you follow the guidelines given to you by your doctor for the best results.

Ronald R. Hollins, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Massage

+1

Thank you for your question. There is some evidence that musculo-lymphatic drainage massage is beneficial in managing soft tissue swelling. I am not aware of specific studies on the eyelids, but it may be help to speed up your recovery.  Massage is also used on the lid to assist with positioning after certain lid tightening procedures.  Curiosity is a positive trait.  Discuss your questions further with your surgeon. Best wishes.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Follow your surgeon's advice when it comes to wound massage after surgery

+1

When you trust your surgeon to perform your eyelid surgery you should also follow his advice.  Massage does help and every surgeon will have their own ideas on post operative treatment to improve your result.  

Massage of eyes after surgery

+1

Massage is used for different reasons based upon the outcome and surgeon preference. Best to follow your surgeon's instructions.

Depends on the patient

+1

I sometimes instruct patients to massage eyelid incisions depending on how I feel the incisions are healing. Sometimes scar evolution and softening may be enhanced by massaging.

However, every surgeons post operative instructions is slightly different, so this may be a baseline instruction for your surgeon.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Massage usually not necessary for upper eyelid surgery.

+1

Hi.

I would ask your surgeon exactly what he or she has in mind.  If your result looks fine, probably best to leave things alone.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)