Ask a doctor

Is It Possible to Remove Mole Near Tear Duct?

I have a mole near my eye, in close proximity to the tear duct. I am just wondering if it is possible to get this mole removed and whether I should see a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon. Thanks for any reply.

Doctor Answers (3)

Mole removal


I would highly recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon or an oculoplastic surgeon for an evaluation and possible treatment.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 126 reviews

Yes but tread cautiously


If the tear duct is damaged, a possibility is tearing unless a further procedure is done to correct it. Most oculoplastic surgeons work well near the tear duct. I am sure the surgeon you are seeing would use their judgement and not take a chance if it is out of their range. Tearing from tear duct damage can need a glass tube to be placed in the eye socket to drain the tears which doesn't work as well as good old mother nature.

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Mole removal near tear duct


As a dermatologist, I frequently remove moles near the tear duct. Certainly one has to be careful, and thus a specialist such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon are both quite capable of doing this safely and with great results.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.

You might also like...

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.