Scars to Expect from Mole Removal?

I am getting about 10 moles removed from my face. I have made an appointment with a general surgeon and am very anxious about scarring. I am not sure what the scars would look like (would they look worse then the moles?)

The doctor said there is a chance there might be scarring but could be covered with make up and less noticeable then the moles. He also mentioned they would need stitches.

So I guess my question is typically do moles leave minimal scars that are usually unnoticeable or are they noticeable? I just do not want my face to look like I was in a car accident or something of that nature.

Mole Removal Will Leave A Scar

+1

Dear me, don’t do all 10 at once! Each surgery WILL leave a scar, every time. The question becomes what kind of scar. Best suture techniques, best sterility techniques, and techniques designed to reduce tension on a wound will yield a less noticeable scar to be sure, but a scar will nonetheless remain….permanently. I tell my patients, “I’ll trade you a beautiful scar for your brown mole.” Please don’t expect a mole eraser. A nice-looking scar is one that’s thin and flesh-toned after 3 months. In our lifetimes, I’m convinced laser technology will advance to remove moles without scars, but we’re not quite there yet.

Removing a mole will always leave a scar.

+1

Removing a mole will always leave a scar, there are a few things to consider when this is being done.
There are three things which make a scar noticeable.

1. Thickness or if it raised

2. Width

3. darker or lighter than the surrounding skin.

The surgeon that does your mole removal should understand these issues and be knowledgeable of the techniques used to prevent or minimize their occurrence.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

I recommend that you at first only have one or two moles removed to see how you heal.  To have ten moles completely excised on the face in one sitting is very risky.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Scars from Mole removal depend on location and surgical technique

+1

Many factors determine the final scar including location of the scar, your propensity to develop bad scarring and the training and technique of the surgeon. I can only comment on the latter point.

Most Qualified to Remove Malignant Mole on Face -
Your choice and you certainly have options. If it was my face I would pick the surgeon with the most training and experience. That would be a board certified  by the American Board of Plastic Surgery plastic surgeon. Typically Plastic Surgeons are General Surgeons or ENT surgeons that after their training is finished are retrained in the field of Plastic Surgery for a minimum of two extra years of training.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Don't Do 10 All at Once

+1

Any surgical procedure carries a risk of scarring, no matter how talented the doctor.  Part of it depends on how you heal as well.  The location of the mole on your face plays a big role.  Sometimes scars can be hidden in natural skin lines, and seem quite invisible. 

I would strongly caution you to NOT remove 10 moles at once on your face, particularly if they are all getting stitched.  You should start with one or two representative ones and see how you heal. 

You do not need an operating room and general anesthesia (as well as its cost and added risks) to remove facial moles.  This can be done under local anesthetic in an office setting.

Lisa Benest, MD
Burbank Dermatologist

Scars will depend on the Size, Shape and Technique of Surgeon

+1

Anytime a mole is removed the dermis is penetrated and a scar will ensue.

It is difficult to tell you how your face will look since, without a picture, I cannot see the size of the scar or how it protrudes. The eventual scar also depends on the area of the face from which the scar is excised. If the healling wound is under a lot of tension, the scar will be more obvious.

Most moles taken off the face, require sutures for a better cosmetic result.

Do apply something like scarguard MZD afterwards. Keep the areas clean and perhaps take Zinc 25 mg. and Vit C 1 gram a day.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist