Plastic Surgeon Removed Too Much Skin in my Upper Eyelid Surgery, What Are My Options In A Revision?

2 yrs ago I had upper eyelid surgery. Too much skin was removed. I dont have hollow eyes, but there isnt enough skin from my eyebrow to eyelashes, especially on 1 side and when I wake up in the morning my brow position on that side has lowered and my eyelid is smaller than the other side, but it gets more normal in the day. I dont want my brows to lower. I want to get more surgery (fat removed), and an eyebrow lift, but I think I would need skin grafts. Is this possible, or what can I do? Thanks

We need to see a photograph in order to answer your

question with any validity.  The fact that you have not complained of dry eye and/or soreness makes me think you are lopsided as most people are and you visualizing facial asymmetry.   Again, we need to see a full picture of your face straight on.

Excessive Skin Removal During Blepharoplasty

Without a physical examination, it is hard to fully answer your question.  However, if there is any suspicion that excessive eyelid skin was removed at the time of your upper eyelid surgery, I would strongly discourage a brow lift.  The only indication for further upper eyelid surgery would be if had corneal irritation as a result of lagophthalmos ( inability to fully close your eyelids).

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid skin grafts will be a cosmetic disaster.

Dear Dolly in Seattle

They are really only a handful of us in the country who are in the business of address post eyelid surgery complications.  So it is likely that you will need to travel to get appropriate surgical help.

I am concerned that despite your severe surgical complications, you are still interested in having more cosmetic surgery.  Any type of forehead lifting will be at the expense of eyelid closure.  You need a bit of spare skin in order to be able to have a forehead lift.  Typically when one is "short of eyelid skin"  in the upper eyelid, one is short of an even more important resource which is functioning orbicularis oculi muscle in the upper eyelid.  This muscle is also commonly removed at the time of upper eyelid surgery.  

The best option for repairing an upper eyelid compromised by overaggressive upper eyelid surgery is to vertically lengthen the lower eyelid.  You indicated that you have upper eyelid but you did not indicate if you also have had lower eyelid surgery in the past.  

You aesthetic needs need to be balanced by the need for the eyelids to protect your eyes from drying out.

I would recommend that you do your homework to identify the true experts in addressing post blepharoplasty complications.  You need to find a surgeon who is more interested in what is right for you.

Dear dolly1258,

A lot will depend on your actual examination.  It is best for you to get a face to face consultation because your condition is complex.  You are probably better off seeing an Oculoplastic surgeon who commonly deals with such problems.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Too much skin removed from upper eyelids

When too much skin is removed from the upper eyelids the result is lagopthalmos, which means the lids are tight and may be difficult to close completely, especially at night. The side effect can be dryness and irritation, and a skin graft may become necessary. If your tightness does become 'normal' over the course of the day you might wish to leave things alone, as a brow lift may cause things to become worse.

Skin grafts may help to correct your problem

It sounds like you may benefit from a skin graft from another part of your body to the eyelid that is affected by over excision of skin.  I would recommend a full thickness skin graft, possibly from the supraclavicular (lower neck) area to correct the problem.

James Tang, MD

Too much skin

If you have truely a lack of skin, then skin repacement is the answer. However if that were true i would expect an in ability to close your eyes leading to severe irritation. If that is not a problem then leave it alone and don't risk complcations>

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Too much skin removed from upper lids

Unless you are having dry eyes from inability to blink or close the eyelids completely, I would leave well enough alone. Skin grafts do not look all that great and the browlift would just make things worse.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Too much skin removal from the upper lid.

Too much skin removal from the upper lid cannot be "fixed" without a skin graft. This is probably not worth it unless you have a functional problem as this often looks like a patch. In my book on forehead lifting I state that once too much skin has been removed the brow can never be set at the proper location. Sorry for the bad news.

If too much skin has been removed from the upper lids (very rare), grafting of skin might be necessary.

I have never seen a patient who had too much skin removed from the upper lids after blepharoplasty although I know it can happen.  The remaining skin might stretch a bit but after two years it's more likelly that I graft would be necessary to correct the problem.