3 1/2 Months Post Upper Blepharoplasty, and my Eyes Are Very Sensitive to Light. What's Causing This?

My eyes have always been a little sensitive to sunlight, but since the surgery, it's almost to the point of being a problem; sometime it feels like I can't even keep my eyes open. My doctor says he never heard this complaint before. What could be causing the sensitivity, and will it go away?

Sensitive eyes

+1

Having such marked sensitivity to light this far out from eyelid surgery is highly unusual. Yes, there is likely a component of conjunctivitis sicca or dry eyes that are contributing to the sensitivity but you need a thorough eye exam for corneal abrasion or retinal pathology and in the mean time keep your eyes moist and protected from the sun or bright light.

Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most common cause is dry eyes

+1

The most likely cause of your symptom is dry eyes, but you should check back with your surgeon. Often, just simple preservative free artificial tears will help dry eyes, but a full ophthalmologic exam is needed. Good luck.

Gary Lelli, Jr., MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

You may have dry eye

+1
If you had border line dry eye, you are at higher risk of this getting worse post surgery and corneal abrasion. Please ask your surgeon to refer you to opthomolgist for evaluation and treatment. You may want to start eye drops till your consultation. Over the counter eye drops help.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

This is most likely dry eye.

+1

It is likely that your eyelid surgery has damaged your ability to move tears on the cornea surface.  The most common cause for this is a weakening of the blink mechanism which occurs when over aggressive eyelid surgery injuries the motor nerves to the obicularis oculi muscle that is responsible for blink the eyes.  This can lead to chronic irritation.  You should consider being assessed by a cornea specialist or an oculoplastic surgeon.

Sensitive eyes after blepharoplasty

+1

It is possible that you have dry eyes, which is not uncommon after upper blepharoplasty.  Consult your surgeon, an ophthalmologist, or an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sensitive to light following upper blepharoplasty

+1

The most common cause for light sensitivity after Blepharoplasty is dry eyes. It sounds like you had this prior to surgery. A trial of artificial tears would probably help. If this does not resolve the problem, you may want to get an opinion from an Ophthalmologist to assess the condition of your eyes.

Good luck!

John H. Hunts MD, PhD
Eugene Oculoplastic Surgeon