Do They Have to Remove Your Belly Button for Insurance to Cover a Panniculectomy? (photo)

Years ago after loosing all my weight, my weight loss doc came to me about having the panniculectomy. He informed me & my husband that insurance would not cover it if I wanted to keep my bellybutton. For it to be cut around & repositioned would be considered plastic surgery & it would not be covered.I believed him & aloud him to do the surgery. But with all the info I have gotten since then, I think he lied to me to get the surgery money.I cry all the time & hate the way I look,BUTCHERED. = (

Removal of belly button for insurance coverage?

+1

Insurance coverage is variable. each carrier has very specific criteria like documented rashes and open sores for a certain period of time, attempts at weight loss etc.. Nothing to do with belly button. Insurance definetly wont cover tummy tuck which is tightenng of your core.

Panniculectomy, belly button removal, and insurance coverage

+1

A belly button doesn't necessarily have to be removed in a panniculectomy; however, it may be removed if it poses some type of a problem.  Insurance coverage for a panniculectomy may vary depending on the individual insurance company's policies.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon