What is the percentage of weight to be lost before a panniculectomy is done?

I'm in the process of losing weight. I've lost about 16 lbs. I weigh 187 so far. I would like to lose about 40 - 50 more lbs. My surgeon informed me that I could have a panniculectomy done, but it depends on how much weight I'd lose before a plastic surgeon would consider doing the surgery. Can any plastic surgeon here, give me an idea as to what is the percentage of weight to be lost before a panniculectomy is done? Thank you.

Weight loss for panniculectomy

+1

The goal is to have a BMI under 30 to reduce post surgical complications. In the end you want to have surgery and have it be complication-free.

Panniculectomy criteria

+1

There is no absolute amount of weight loss to qualify for panninculectomy. However, you  need to loss as much weight as possible. If you get the panniculectomy too early, then you may still loss weight after that surgery and you may experience more excess skin. In that case, you may have to go back and have a second panniculectomy or tummy tuck.  It is my opinion that if you only have lost 16 lbs but you have 40-50 more lbs to loss, it maybe too early for a panniculectomy. You should loss as much as you can.  Best of luck

Monali Misra, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Bariatric Surgeon