Can Persistent Dark Circles Be Treated/improved?

I'm a 25 year old girl and have had persistent dark circles for about a decade. They're not just on my lower lid but on the entire area around my eyes. I never had eczema until a few months back, and now my lids get scaly/flaky sometimes but patch tests couldn't identify any allergen. I do have sunken eyes and superficial veins, but that doesn't seem to be the cause. Is there any way to improve the appearance of these dark circles? Is laser effective in such cases? Is it safe for Indian skin?

Risks of treating dark circles around eyes in dark skin

+1

Familial benign periorbital pigmentation or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation with or without a history of eczema is difficult to treat and there are risks that procedures done including laser, can induce both hypopigmentation and hyperpigmentation.  The examination should discern whether this is pigment or venous blood flow coloration.  The pigmentation can be checked with a special light that most dermatologists use, to distinguish superficial from deep pigment.  Topical lightening creams can help in some, but not many cases.  Fillers might make the blood flow color better but can leave irregular lumpy surface contour and bad bruising for the first two wweks. See an expert in pigmentation and proceed cautiously.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.