Perlane Vs. Restylane, What's the Difference?

Before i get to the doctors office for my next appointment i want to know why a company called medicis is selling 2 products called "perlane" and "restylane" even though they are the same ingredients according to the website?  i want to get fuller lips and hide wrinkles.  Which injection, restylane or perlane, do I ask for?

Perlane and Restylane are similar products with important differences.

+5

Restylane and Perlane are both hyaluronic acid filler products made by Medicis, Inc of Scottsdale, Arizona. They are similar products with important differences. Perlane is a more highly crosslinked product than Restylane. Crosslinking is the process that allows these products the ability to persist in the tissue and provide long term benefits. In the case of Restylane, this product seems to last for about a year or more. Perlane persists a bit longer and that time frame seems to be 4 to 6 months longer than the Restylane.

The products look similar however, when injecting the two products, it is immediately obvious the difference between the products. Restylane flows more readily than Perlane. However, Restylane is not as "smooth" (or runny) Juvederm a competing product made by Allergan, Inc. This ability to flow is helpful in the lower eyelid and lip edge where too much fullness is very easy to see after a service. As a result it is important that for treatmented in this area, to use a product like Restylane that holds in the tissue and is not too runny but at the same time can be manipulated and sculpted.

Restylane is perfect for the sensitive lower eyelid area and lip edge. For other areas of the face, there is abundant fat to help hide filler. In areas like the cheek, chin, nasolabial fold firmness of the material to resist dissipation is important for volumizing. Perlane is perfect for this role. Should there be an overfill issue after a treatment, both products can be adjusted with an enzyme called hyaluronidase that can be injected and softens the unwanted fullness.

Perlane is exactly Restylane but three times thicker

+5

Many posters with essentially the same answer. I chose to tell patients a very simple explanation. Restylane is thinner less thick substance while Perlane is the exact same product but three times thicker.

Perlane is harder to inject, but lasts 3x longer, cost is double of Restylane.

Very simple answer.

Restylane or Juvederm VS. Perlane or Juvederm Plus

+4

Restylane and Perlane are produced by the QMed Corp (Sweden) and distributed by Medicis. Juvederm and Juvederm Plus are produced by Allergan (which also produces Botox and Latisse).

Restylane and Juvederm are Hyaluronic Acid (HA) fillers in which the molecules are cross linked to ensure long-term stability. As they degrade, both attract more water molecules to maintain their filling effects.

To get a stiffer a stiffer filler which lasts longer and is intended to be placed deeper in the dermis of DEEPER folds, MORE cross-linking were created, resulting in Perlane (Q Med / Medicis) and Juvederm Plus (Allergan). These stiffer molecules better resist compression and are usually placed in places such as the nose to mouth (Nasolabial) and "Drool" lines to lift up the creased skin.

For SUPERFICIAL wrinkles and LIPS - I would use EITHER Restylane or Juvederm. (Using a thicker version would feel more artificial JUST like having a lip implant).

For DEEP wrinkles - I would use either Perlane or Juvederm Plus.

Dr. P. Aldea

Perlane vs Restylanea

+3

The reason the company offers two products is because they have different specification for each use. Perlane is a more concentrated hyaluronic acid therefore it is used for deeper filling where you want a more robust fill. Restylane is used for more superficial areas such as the lips and nasal labial folds. Each doctor has their own preference. I have all different hyaluronic acids in my office because no product "fills" all needs.

Good Luck

Carlos Wolf, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and Perlane are the same only different

+3

Restylane and Perlane are both hyaluronic acid-based products from the same company, made with the same chemical formula. Perlane is thicker, because of a larger particle size, so it is used more where deeper volume filling is desired such as the cheeks. Restylane works better in more superficial layers. But when to use which one is a matter of preference and clinical experience.

Richard Baxter, MD

Perlane vs. Restylane

+3

Perlane and Restylane are similar products, made by the same manufacturer. They consist of the same substance - hyaluronic acid.

The difference is in the particle size, with the Perlane having much larger particles. This in turn translates into the way we inject it: Perlane is usually injected deeper, with a slightly larger needle. Larger particles allow for more volume expansion, so we use it when we need to create more diffuse volume increase with perhaps less finesse. For example, we use it for cheek and chin contouring, correcting deep nasolabial fold defects, or when large volume increase is needed in the lips. Since it is injected in bigger "chunks", it usually lasts longer than Restylane as well.

It can create the appearance of lumpiness if injected into the areas of very thin skin, so we would not use it under the eyes and in similar areas.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Perlane vs. restylane

+2

these two products are similar except the Perlane is more highly cross-linked and therefore in a sense more "dense" in is going to last a bit longer.  as a rule Perlane is used more for a volumizing agent but it can be used in many of the same areas as Restylane.  Restylane is a little more forgiving in thin areas such as in the tear trough and the lips. That being said it's not unusual for me to use Perlane and some of my more experienced patients because they feel they get a bit more longevity out of it and they understand that there's a slightly increased risk that their lip may feel a bit uneven or even look a bit more and even temporarily. Personally I feel Perlane is a little bit better value for the money you spend but they're both excellent products

Chase Lay MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

The are similar fillers

+2

For your application-lips, I would use Restylane rather than the thicker Perlane which is designed for deeper folds and lines. We are finding that both products last over a year and if injected properly you should have a great result.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Perlane vs. Restylane

+2

Perlane and Restylane are both superior dermal fillers made, and are both made with hyaluronic acid (HA). The main difference between Restylane and Perlane is their particle size and consistency.

Restylane has a thinner consistency and uses smaller HA particles. It can be used in deeper folds but it is easier to use than Perlane when injecting into areas that use less product like the lips and under the eyes.

Perlane has larger HA particles and is thicker than Restylane. It is more effective in larger folds and wrinkles because of the thicker consistency.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane and Perlane: How I use them

+2

This question has already been answered pretty well, so I will explain how I use Perlane and Restylane in my practice in Dallas, Texas. The trade off is that Perlane is much harder than Restylane but it lasts much longer. I like Perlane for the cheeks and chin and for smile lines. I use Restylane under the eyes and in lips more, areas that require a softer product to stay smooth. Here is a link to a video that describes my use of products based on hardness, including fat transfer, etc., and a link to my site for some before and after work.

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon