Will Pectoral Implants Correct an Asymmetrical Chest Wall for a Male?

I recently had a procedure to correct a chest wall deformity called pectus excavatum (sunken chest). A stainless steel bar was inserted under my rib cage with the hopes that it would bring proper shape to the chest. The procedure was not a success and I still have significant asymmetry to my chest wall. Will a custom made pectoral implant correct the defect?

Pectus Excavatum correction with implants after the NUSS procedures with #Toronto #DrMarcDuPere

+2

Thank you for your question and YES, body implants could be a solution to your condition.

I have done over 200 pectoral augmentation over the last 7-8 years.   I have also treated several patients with pectus excavatum in Toronto since 2001, including a few patients who had had the NUSS procedure before.  A pectus excavatum, as you know, is a body depression in the mid-chest that can be symmetrical or asymmetrical.  The NUSS procedure aims at trying to reverse theThe options will vary on what I see at the time of the consultation with you.

I have done #FatGrafting with #stemcells in some patients for very small defects.

Other, we fabricated a custom-made implants; patient comes to the office and we prepare a mould of the defect, which is then sent for fabrication, then sterilized then shipped back to Toronto for implantation.  This involves a few visits to Toronto, Canada.

The other options might be unilateral or bilateral pectoral augmentation with implants, either same implants or different sized implants depending again on your anatomy.  Sometimes, fat grafting is also part of the pectoral implant procedure.

Good luck in your search and make sure you choose an experienced surgeon as this is not a common procedure learned in plastic surgery residency.

Should you want to come to #Toronto, we do offer SKYPE-cam consultation as a first encounter.  Email us some pics.

Best regards,

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto plastic surgeon

Voted TOP plastic surgery Clinic in Toronto for 2013 and 2014

Voted TOP Cosmetic Clinic in Toronto for 2014

visageclinic.com/patient-resources/media.cfm

Will Pec Implants Correct Chest Wall Asymmetry ?

+1
There are many great options to treat chest wall asymmetry. I have worked with several patients who had had the Nuss procedure, and I rountinely treat patients with chest wall asymmetry as well. A physical exam, or at least photos are needed to delineate the chest wall asymmetry and create a plan of action. Pectus excavatum, as well as chest wall asymmetry can be treated with custom implants, fat augmentation, or a combination of both which is common. The treatment plan will depend on location and extent of asymmetry, availability of fat, body habitus, etc. in relation to goals and expectations. 

Sam Gershenbaum, DO

+1

This is very difficult to answer without more information, photos, and an exam. Sometimes an implant can improve the appearance. Sometimes fat grafting provides a nice camouflage. Sometimes multiple procedures in combination may offer the best correction.

Chest wall asymmetry

+1
Of course this is an option to help camoflauge the pectus. I would recommend a custom implant so that it addresses the issues that you are concerned with. As with any surgery, there are potential risks involved but if you are well informed -this may be a great option for you.

Pectoral implants for asymmetrical chest wall in a male

+1

Of course, there is no way to be certain just how much improvement you could get, but a pectoral implant is a great way to try to improve this problem.  Complete correction of asymmetry is unlikely, but you should be able to get some improvement.  A custom implant might be required, but a standard one might work well, too.

James Nachbar, MD

Pectoral Implants Correct an Asymmetrical Chest Wall

+1

Pectoral implants will camouflage and not correct an asymmetrical chest wall such as pectus excavatum, but only if minor.  If there are chest wall irregularites near the midline - just lateral to the sternum, pectoral implants may be indicated. 

Keep in mind that the asymmetrical heights of the right and left chest walls will not be corrected, as the implants will overly these asymmetrical ribs.

If the central depression is still quite prominent, the implants will only accentuate it.  In a female this will increase the apparent "cleavage" which may be desired; not so in a male.

Dr. Carlos Cordoba
MDCM, CSPQ, FRCS, FACS
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8
514-932-7667

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon