Paying for Botox by the Vial

A few weeks ago, I had Botox for my crow's feet only, but I was charged for an entire vial of Botox (6 cc's)! I have had this procedure before by the same well known plastic surgeon, and I know only 3 cc's were used. He told me we only needed 3 cc's. I am very upset and have been refused documentation of the amount used.

Is there any way an entire vial of Botox could have been used on my crow's feet? Do other doctors charge for a whole vial if all of it isn't used? Is there something I'm missing?

No way could a whole vial have been used on your crow's feet

+3

There is absolutely NO WAY a whole vial (100 units) of Botox could have been used up on just your crow's feet. Check back with your doctor, something very fishy is going on there!

Botox by the vial: Purchasing 100 units of Botox

+3

Botox is a trademark of Allergan, Inc. The product is produced in vials of 100 units and requires reconstitution in normal saline prior to use.

Typically, less than 100 units is used on a single patient and thus the method of dispensing is through a multi-use vial.

Using 100 units along the lateral canthus is unusual, but can occur depending on your degree of dynamic rhytids.

Have a frank discussion with your surgeon and this will help clarify the situation and decrease your level of frustration.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

The amount of Botox used can differ quite a bit

+2

A vial of Botox is actually not necessarily 6cc's. In fact, Botox comes completely dehydrated as 100 units. The amount of saline added to dilute the Botox, so that it can be injected, varies from doctor to doctor. The more saline is added, the "weaker" the Botox becomes, just like when you used to drink Kool Aid and added more water when you started running out, until all you had left was pink water!

The point is, a full bottle is not necessarily 6 cc's. The fact that an entire of bottle of botox (100 U) was used for just your crows feet area seems a bit excessive to me. I have heard of physicians who use an entire vial per patient, as a matter of principle, thinking that the more concentrated the solution they use, the longer the Botox will last.

Eric Chang, MD

Unusual Case

+1

This is a very unusual case.  I would definitely request to speak to the physician to ask for a clarification. The norm for most offices is to pay based on the amount used or the regions done.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox by the cc is a scam.

+1

The most accurate way of paying for Botox is by the unit. A common popular way to be charged for it is by the area. Both have their pros and cons. Botox by the vial or cc or syringe is not a fair way to measure and charge a patient. As other physicians here say, the fluid volume can vary greatly depending on the dilution your injector uses, and it will be very hard for you to know what is going on. Not fair, I say.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Botox by vial or by unit

+1

First of all, you did not have 3 cc or 6 cc of Botox - they would be way off the chart.  I assume you are meaning to say 3 units or 6 units were injected in your crow's feet, which is usually about 1/10 of a cc.  In my practice, we charge by the unit so that you know exactly how much Botox you received.   Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Botox charges

+1

I do not charge botox by the cc's or units, I charge by the region being treated.  This may be as little as 12-15 units or more.

Don't pay for Botox by the cc!

+1

Thank you for the great question. Botox comes as a dry powder in a small vial. The doctor then chooses to add a certain amount of sterile saline into this vial to reconstitute the Botox. The amount of saline that added depends on the preferences of the doctor. This is why you should never pay for Botox by the milliliter or CC. It is not the saline then you are buying but how much Botox is in the saline. Before your next treatment, ask your physician how many units of Botox they plan to use. Clarify that you will be charged only for the units of Botox and not for the amount of saline that these units come in.

For more information on Botox or to schedule an iConsult, please visit us online at: 

Pat Pazmino, MD

Don't pay for Botox by the cc!

+1

It sounds like your physician is trying to hide the number of actual Botox units used by selling it by the CC. This is a common practice to dupe consumers about the amount of Botox that is used.

While you may be able to request your medical records to determine how much Botox was used, it may not help you recover any fees you paid. Our suggestion would be to go to a practitioner that is fair and open with the amount of Botox UNITS that are being injected.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Very Strange Indeed!!

+1

There is no way that a whole vial of 100 units could be used to treat crow's feet. The axillae (armpits) for hyperhidrosis ( excessive sweating) yes, but not the crow's feet. Botox for crow's feet, even the most lined, should not run over 30 units. Most women get very good results with 18 units. I do not care what the dilution might be, a whole vial for this sounds like you were scammed, famous board certified plastic surgeon or not.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist