The surgeon switch from mentor to sientra implants. What are the differences and pros & cons of mentor vs sientra?

The surgeon I have chosen is currently using mentor but has just informed me that he might start using sientra implants. What are the differences and pros & cons of mentor vs sientra? Does anyone have any experience with these implants that could give me more info about them? To clarify, my doctor is adding these along with mentor. He is a board certified plastic surgeon. They are the only ones that can get these implants.

Sientra Breast Implants as Compared to Mentor or Allergan Breast Implants

+1
This is a great question. Congratulations by way on deciding to move forward with a breast augmentation.

Sientra breast implants are essentially the “latest and greatest”. They are fifth generation breast implants or the highly cohesive shaped silicone gel breast implants or gummy bear implants. There are now three companies in the U.S. with these implants. The implants include all of Sientra’s product line, Mentor’s MemoryShape and Natrelle’s 410 “gummy bears”. These are all excellent implants and in fact a recent research paper published just a few days ago (June 28, 2014) in the main plastic surgery journal shows that, while there are differences in the biomechanics of these three implants, these differences are not big ones and that the implants are all biomechanically very sound. Sientra’s implant is however a little tougher.

The main difference at the time of writing this (things may change in the future) is that Sientra has the following advantages over the other implants:
  • It has arguably the best warrantee of the implants available in the US. (Mentor, Allergan or Natrelle and Sientra). The company virtually changed the game of the implant industry when it started to provide implant replacement if you develop a capsule contracture in the first two years.
  • Sientra provides a two year warrantee for capsule contracture.
  • The Sientra safety profile is better in that it has a documented significantly lower capsule contracture rate with its textured surface implants over its competitors.
  • When it comes to their shaped implants they have a larger variety of sizes, shapes and projections.
The bottom line is that you cannot go wrong with any of the new implants but if risk reduction and warrantees are factor in your decision then Sientra is the choice I would recommend. It is exactly why your surgeon is making the switch; it appears to be a better implant! As surgeons we want the best for our patients and that is why I made the switch to Sientra.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Mentor vs. Sientra

+1
Thanks for your question. Both companies make excellent implants and their safety records are well-established. Sientra is sometimes described as a "new" option, but these implants have been used abroad for more than 30 years. Sientra and Mentor products are similar, but of the highly cohesive or "gummy bear" style implants, Sientra offers the only round option. I also like Sientra's assortment of bases, shapes, and projections, because it helps to create a truly custom result. As other doctors have mentioned, they are also the only company that currently offers a warranty that covers implant replacement in cases of capsular contracture. Studies have indicated a lower instance of capsular contracture with the Sientra implants. That said, Mentor makes an excellent product as well, and a skilled plastic surgeon will create beautiful results with whatever "tools" he or she feels work best. It sounds like you're doing your homework, and that's a good sign that you'll have a great outcome. The fact that your doctor is doing his best to offer a variety of options is also a good sign. Best of luck to you!

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

SIENTRA IMPLANTS ARE EXCELLENT

+1
Due to my experience  of many, many years with SIENTRA (Silimed) implants  I can assure you this implants have  very good statistics with very low complications as Capsular Contraction or downshift, results are great and appearance is very natural when placed under the pectoral muscle.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Sientra vs Mentor

+1
Both manufacturers make excellent implants. Sientra offers an additional warranty that Mentor does not. This warranty deals with capsular contracture . If your Sientra implant develops a capsular contracture in the first 2 years they will replace your implant. The other manufacturers do not have warranties for capsular contracture. This tells us that they are very confident with their implants low cap con rates. 

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD

Mentor versus Sientra

+1
Hi.  These two companies both make excellent implants, and I use both of them in my practice.

The Mentor smooth round "MemoryGel" implant has the advantage of a soft feel, that many women like.
The Sientra textured round implant had a lower capsule rate in the study by Stevens that was published in PRS in Nov 2013.  Both gels are relatively cohesive.

Both companies have similar warranties when it comes to implant leakage.  Sientra also has a capsule warranty, which is good for the first 2 years only.

Both devices are very good.  I have no problem recommending either one.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Breast Implant Choices - How to Choose

+1
Sientra, Allergan and Mentor all make round cohesive implants. The more cohesive the implant the more "gummy bear" like they are meaning that they retain shape and less likely to leak. Sientra has the most cohesive implants on the market.

My experience is that both Mentor (made by J&J) and Natrelle implants (made by Allergan) are excellent implants with ethical back up from their parent companies. That is all that has been available in the USA until now. Starting in 2012, patients will have another option for silicone breast implants from another solid company. Silimed. Competition is always great for patients. Patients can choose an implant from Sientra (Silimed) a world leader in breast implant (and other silicone implants). Prospective breast augmentation patients should now be aware that the FDA has approved a new silicone gel-filled breast implant made by Sientra, Inc. Being FDA approved means it is a safe product equal to the standard for Natrelle and Mentor. The Biggest Difference which was just announced by Sientra at the American Aesthetic Meeting in Vancouver May 2012, is that they will only be sold to Board Eligible or Board Certified Plastic Surgery.This is not true for Allergan or Mentor who sell their products to anyone, whether trained or not. This is a great safety factor for patients and for that reason I have switched to Sientra implants for the majority of my patients. Sientra is also the only implant company to have a replacement warranty against capsular contracture if their textured implants are used.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Marketing is the main difference between Sientra, Mentor, and Allergan.

+1
There are a few small differences between Mentor and Sientra for round implants. The differences are much more apparent in the anatomical gels (gummy bear implants). For rounds, Sientra and Mentor get their base silicone from different manufacturers but process it in their own facilities. This may not seem like a big deal, but Mentor no longer uses the manufacturer that Sientra does do to quality issues they had in the 90s. Not sure if this really matters. Sientra only sells to Board Certified plastic surgeons and offers an implant replacement for capsular contractures when using textured implants (only the implant experiencing the contracture). The implant replacement for ruptures is very similar. The texturing process is different between the manufacturers and Mentor seems to have better tissue ingrowth than Sientra in my opinion. However, Allergan (Natrelle) have the most aggressive texturing. For the shaped implants, Mentor has a limited line up as they are still awaiting FDA approval on most of their sizes and shapes. Sientra offer many different sizes/shapes and are very soft, but not as cohesive. Allergen offer the most sizes/shapes, but some people think their anatomical implants are too firm.

The bottom line is that the majority of the differences in implants are not appreciable by the patient. This is particularly true with round implants. You would not be able to tell the difference based on an exam. The rupture rates are comparable across the board. All 3 manufacturers make great implants and the choice is much more important for the surgeon than it is for the patient (sales rep availability, implant stock in the hospital, familiarity with sizing variations).

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Mentor vs. Sientra Breast Implants

+1
Hello and thank you for your question.
I have experience with all three implant manufacturers in the United States (Mentor, Natrelle and Sientra) and I can say that they are all high quality and yield great results.  Most surgeons develop a personal preference over time for a number of reasons including availability, manufacturer representative relationship, hospital stock, personal experience, etc.    
You're right that only board certified or board eligible plastic surgeons have access to Sientra implants.  
We choose different volumes, textures and shapes of implants based on characteristics specific to you.  But the truth is that the "brand" of implant chosen will ultimately not make much difference for you.  
What's most important is that you are being treated by an experienced plastic surgeon who can deliver the results you desire. 
Best of luck to you,

Ruth Celestin, MD

Ruth Celestin, MD

Pros and Cons of Mentor and Sientra Breast Implants

+1
Sientra, Natrelle and Mentor all have great breast implants, but it makes sense that your plastic surgeon would offer more than one brand as no one manufacturer has every possible size. The size differences may not be very significant on paper, the difference in breast augmentation is in the details, especially when creating a very natural appearing result.

It is true that Sentra sells their breast implants exclusively to board certified and board eligible plastic surgeons. 

More important than the brand of breast implant your plastic surgeon uses is the attention to details he or she gives to surgery and to patients,, and the evidence that they are able to create a result you want. Looking at many, many before and after photos is the first step in determining whether or not a plastic surgeon is right for you. Every breast augmentation patient should be photographed from a front, side and oblique perspective.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon