What are the differences and pros & cons of mentor vs sientra? Does anyone have any experience with these implants?

The surgeon I have chosen is currently using mentor but has just informed me that he might start using sientra implants. What are the differences and pros & cons of mentor vs sientra? Does anyone have any experience with these implants that could give me more info about them?

Sientra Breast Implants vs Mentor Breast Implants

+2
I perform a lot of b rest augmentation surgery and I do not use one brand exclusively. One reason is that no single brand has every single size. A plastic surgeon who is very particular may want a specific size with specific base diameter and projection that is not available in other brands. 

Although I do not use Sientra breast implants exclusively, I like their approach to plastic surgery. They seek their breast implants only to board-certified and board eligible plastic surgeons. This means, consumers can have the confidence that their surgeon has completed plastic surgery training. As some people may know, any kind of physician can legally perform any surgery. Some family practice physicians, dermatologists and ENT physicians can and do perform breast augmentation surgery.

The best breast implant is in the hands of the best surgeon. Take a lot of time looking at the training, experience and expertise of a plastic surgeon you are trusting with your health and well being. remember this is a permanent change in your body. take your time and choose wisely.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sientra or Mentor Breast Implants?

+1
A final decision on which implant to use is a combination of your chest dimensions, your wishes, and your surgeon's input.  Both Sientra and Mentor can give you an excellent result.  Sientra is only available to Board-certified plastic surgeons.  Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Breast Implants

+1
Hi Work!
I use both Mentor and Sientra.  Both lines have great implants.  You may have some special anatomy that your surgeon wants to specifically treat with the Sientra, so discuss this.  Sientra will only sell product to a board certified plastic surgeon.  So in general either is fine.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sientra, Allergan and Mentor Implants: What is the Difference

+1
Breast implants for breast augmentation was once an area in which the choice for the surgeon and the patient was easy. There were essentially round silicone gel implants of various sizes, diameters and projection in smooth and textured surfaces and round saline filled implants with the same choice. Then came the tear drop implant which did not seem to make a big splash in the US market but was an option. Essentially the patient chose saline or silicone as well as had input into the size. Surgeons chose the implant company (Natrelle or Mentor) largely based on the service he or she was getting from their local manufacturer’s representative and then focused on diameter followed by projection and then size and texture.

When the fifth generation highly cohesive shaped silicone gel implants or gummy bear implants came out starting in the fall of 2012 with a third company, Sientra, and its’ breast implant line. This was followed by Mentor’s MemoryShape and Natrelle’s 410 “gummy bears”. These are all excellent implants and in fact a recent research paper published just a few days ago (June 28, 2014) in the main plastic surgery journal shows that while there are differences in the biomechanics of these three implants these differences are not big ones and that the implants are biomechanically very sound. The main difference at the time of writing this (things may change in the future) is that Sientra has the following advantages over the other implants

• It has arguably the best warrantee of the implants available in the US. (Mentor, Allergan or Natrelle and Sientra). The company virtually changed the game of the implant industry when it started to provide implant replacement if you develop a capsule contracture in the first two years.
  • Sientra provides a two year warrantee for capsule contracture.
  • The Sientra safety profile is better in that it has a documented significantly lower capsule contracture rate with its textured surface implants over its competitors.
  • When it comes to their shaped implants they have a larger variety of sizes, shapes and projections.
The bottom line is that you cannot go wrong with any of the new implants but of risk reduction and warrantees are factor in your decision then Sientra is the choice I would recommend.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Mentor, Allergan & Sientra Breast Implants - How to choose

+1
My experience is that both Mentor (made by J&J) and Natrelle implants (made by Allergan) are excellent implants with ethical back up from their parent companies. That is all that has been available in the USA until now. Starting in 2012, patients will have another option for silicone breast implants from another solid company. Silimed. Competition is always great for patients. Patients can choose an implant from Sientra (Silimed) a world leader in breast implant (and other silicone implants). Prospective breast augmentation patients should now be aware that the FDA has approved a new silicone gel-filled breast implant made by Sientra, Inc. Being FDA approved means it is a safe product equal to the standard for Natrelle and Mentor. The Biggest Difference which was just announced by Sientra at the American Aesthetic Meeting in Vancouver May 2012, is that they will only be sold to Board Eligible or Board Certified Plastic Surgery.This is not true for Allergan or Mentor who sell their products to anyone, whether trained or not. This is a great safety factor for patients and for that reason I have switched to Sientra implants for the majority of my patients. Sientra is also the only implant company to have a replacement warranty against capsular contracture if their textured implants are used.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Mentor vs sientra

+1
Dear Tinykay,
   Both companies are known for their breasts implants products, however Mentor has been in that business longer. I have been using exclusively Mentor implants for over 26 years and both me and my patients are very happy with the implants. I do not know why your doctor decided to change the implants. The best thing for you to do is ask him directly. If the answer does not make sense to you , you can always get another consultation. Always, consult with board certified plastic surgeons and check their before and after pictures to make sure that you like the results, Also, make sure that the pictures are numerous and consistent and the doctors ave good reviews.
                                   Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Implant manufacturers

+1
Both companies are reliable and have fine customer service, I use Mentor for almost all my cases because I have a comfort level and longstanding relationship with them. That said, it could be based on a new product, sizing options, etc. Best to discuss with your surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

What are the differences and pros & cons of mentor vs sientra?

+1
Both companies have been around for a long time, have reliable products and similar warranties. I use them both., Best to ask your surgeon if you want to know why he is changing.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Differences in implants

+1
In general all breast implants are the same with minor differences that manufacturers use to distinguish their product. The major area they try to distinguish themselves are in areas like their warranty, sientra will only sell to plastic surgeons and not other specialties, etc. otherwise there are subtle differences but I would venture a guess that if I showed you any number of post op photos you or anyone could reliably tell me from the pictures what company's implant was used. 

in general this is best directed at your surgeon who can tell you why they prefer a particular implant as many have surgeons have strong opinions. 

David M. Kahn, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

A question for your PS

+1
Dear Tiny Kay,

Since you have already chosen a plastic surgeon this question would best be directed to him/her.  They must have some reason for starting to use Sientra implants that can answer the question for you.  The differences between the two are very subtle in my opinion.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD