Painful Itching After CoolSculpting - Is This Normal?

I did the procedure on my lower and upper abdomen 3 weeks ago. Still painful and itchy, is it common? Please help.

Many patients do experience itching.

+5

Itching is the symptom experienced by some patients due to the inflammation caused by the fat cells breaking down and being eliminated by the body. It commonly resolves after 2 weeks but can last longer.  You should not have any skin changes or a rash.  If you are concerned you should contact your doctor. There are some treatments that can help with these symptoms if the persist.

Web reference: http://www.lazarusmd.com/post/it-is-so-cool-coolsculpting-by-zeltiq-miami

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Itching After CoolSculpting

+1

Itching is a common side effect after a CoolSculpting procedure. The itching or hypersensitivity is due to the inflammation from the procedure. Compression garments - such as an abdominal binder, spanx or control top pantyhose, can often help with the itching. I also recommend contacting your provider if the itching is severe or is interfering with work or sleep. They can possibly prescribe you a medication - such as Lyrica or Lidoderm Lidocaine patches - to help.

Web reference: http://www.FreezeTheFat.com

Itching after CoolSculpting

+1

Typically, there is minimal to no downtime after CoolSculpting though patients may experience temporary pain or discomfort. Side effects can include redness, bruising, swelling, tenderness to the touch, cramping, itching, tingling, and numbness. Itching is a normal side effect, and should subside in time. Best of luck.

Yes. Very common

+1

As the body heals itching and soreness is very common. Realize that although this is not surgery actual cells have been affected with treatment and there is a normal inflammatory then healing phase. This is a completely normal part of your healing phase. 

Symptoms after coolsculpting

+1

It is not uncommon to feel an itchiness and also a crampy discomfort, often intermittent and unpredictable, after Coolsculpting. This has no effect on results, is common and is self limited typically resolving in 4-6 weeks.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Is itching normal after CoolSculpting?

+1

Everyting you are expriencing can occur after CoolSculpting and are not a sign of any problem.  Typically the symptoms you have reported start several days after the procedure and are more commonly experieced when doing the stomach than the love handles or back area.  The problem will resolve spontaneously usually within several weeks and can be treated with a cool compresses, or an over the counter pain reliever.  If that doesn't help than a prescription analgesic can be used for a short period of time.

Long Island Dermatologist

Mild discomfort after Coolsculpting is common

+1

Many patients experience mild discomfort (tingling, soreness, itching) after Coolsculpting.  A small minority of patients experience moderate to severe discomfort.  Thankfully, the discomfort persists for only a few weeks. 

To help control pain, I recommend starting off with tylenol and ibuprofen.  For patients that need additional pain relief, gabapentin (a medication that helps with nerve pain) can be very helpful. 

Houston Dermatologist

Itching and soreness after zeltiq

+1

CoolSculpting does cause fat cell death and the body metabolizes the dead cells. You may be experiencing greater than normal itching and soreness but in all likelihood this should all go away. See your doctor to be examined.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/zeltiq/index.html

Pain after CoolSculpting

+1

Pain after cool skull thing is normal. I actually see two types of discomfort after the treatments. In about 5% of patients they will experience an intense tingling discomfort the last about 15 minutes after we remove the handpiece. Patients have described this similar to your leg up falling asleep but slightly more intense. The most important thing is to let patients know that it will disappear in 15 or 20 minutes. As long as patients are aware of  this ahead of time it is not problematic.

The second is a slightly more mysterious discomfort. About 5% of patients have a longer-lasting irritating discomfort in the treatment area. This has been reportedin my patietns  to last anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks.

Fortunately we have developed a treatment protocol with prescription medications that can virtually immediately eliminate the discomfort  in a small percentage of cases in which it occurs.

Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon

After CoolSculpting...

+1

Patients do experience the tingling, achiness and sometimes itching after this procedure.  Most of the symptoms are self limiting (they will go away on their own).  If it is really bothering you, see your doctor to see if anything can be prescribed to help with the itching.

Best Wishes!

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/cool-sculpting.htm