How Painful is It to Get Dental Implants?

Do most patients use narcotics to manage the pain, or is Advil and Tylenol enough? Do some people get headaches after the procedure? How often?

Dental Implants Cause Very Little Discomfort

+1

Dental Impnat placement causes very little discomfort compared to other surgical procedures.  Of course the more involved the surgery is, the more discomfort there may be.  If bone grafts or tissue gratfs are performed along with the implants there may be slightly more discomfort, but still only minor.  The pain is easily controlled with over the counter analgesics such as ibuprofen, but for the first day a narcotic may be needed.  I always give my patients a narcotic and they always tell me that thaey only used it for one day, or not at all.  If the tissue and bone is handled carefully there should be very little pain.  This is why surgeons with more experience tend to have less pain complaints from their patients.  If the tissue is not handled gently, that is where the pain comes from, the inflammation causes pain, not the actual surgical procedure

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dental implants and discomfort

+1

Dental implant procedure is the least uncomfortable procedure in oral surgery. it requires minimum amount of local anesthetic and the follow-up discomfort can be controlled with mild analgesics. Again, it all depends of the experience of the operator, the faster the procedure is done the less swelling, the more gentle on handling the soft tissue the less discomfort afterwards. truly, one of the best invention for human kind comfort.

Edgard El Chaar, DDS, MS.

Edgard El Chaar, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Minimal Discomfort after Dental Implants

+1

All of the patients that I have seen post operative after their Dental Implants have been placed  have had zero to minimal discomfort. Any post operative pain can be effectively managed with Tylenol and or Motrin. I have found it to be very uncommon for a patient to require a Narcotic type medication after placement of a Dental Implant.

Howard Perlmutter, DMD
Paramus Cosmetic Dentist

Implants

+1

A dental implant is a surgical procedure, but there is no need to be intimidated, take the time to educate you about the procedure and the results you can expect so that you can feel comfortable and confident about your dental implant procedure. Because each smile has its own story and each person has a unique set of needs, we always recommend our patients to learn the benefits and the advantage of the procedure.Replacing a missing tooth is one of the most beneficial oral health decisions you can make.

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Pain after the implant placement

+1

Implant placement is performed under local or general anesthesia,depending of the case, so needless to say it is not painful procedure. After the anesthetic wears out you might experience a mild discomfort, but it is very well managed with over the counter  Tylenol or Motrin. It is not common to prescribe narcotic analgesic if surgical procedure goes well without any complications.

Zina Kaleinikova, DDS, MS
Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Pain with dental implants

+1

It is very rare to find severe post-operative pain with dental implants.  Even the most apprehensive patient always returns to our office for the post-operative visit (usually 10-14 days after the surgery) with the same response, "I can't believe it didn't hurt!"

Dental implant surgery is very atraumatic--removing a tooth is a much more traumatic procedure.  It is a surgical procedure, however, so an inflammatory response will occur which can produce some discomfort.   Most of my implant surgery patients will take prescription-strength ibuprofen for 24 hours following the surgery; after 48 hours, most of my patients have stated that they did not need any further medication for pain control.

Chad Colson, DMD
Myrtle Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Lack of Pain with Dental Implants

+1

The most common replies I get from my implant clients is "It did not hurt" or "I was more uncomfortable when I had my tooth/teeth removed".  There are always exceptions but Implants are a comfortable procedure with very little post op discomfort.  Generally an anti inflammatory like Advil is sufficient but narcotics can also be used.  Headaches are not a common occurrence but could occur if the person is very nervous and stressed pretreatment or during the procedure.

Dan Haas, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

No pain with dental implants

+1

All my patients have said they have had no pain during the procedure and only took a Tylenol or Advil, the the just before bed the same night.

Mitchell A. Josephs, DDS
Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Pain and implants

+1

This question can be a bit complicated but lets say you are getting an implant in an area where no tooth exists and you are not doing any grafting or immediate placement. The short answer is pain is minimal if surgery is done in healthy tissue. The bone where the  implant is placed does not have tons of nerves that sense pain so the implant is fairly benign in the bone. The majority of the discomfort comes from the manipulation of the soft tissue. Depending on if the surgeon uses a scalpel or a laser can make a slight difference in pain. We typically have patient take 2 advil and 2 tylenol at the same time every 4 hours for pain control.

J. Willis Baker, DDS
Wichita Cosmetic Dentist

How painful are dental implants

+1

As a general dentist who observes my oral surgeon or periodontist place dental implants most if not all of my patient experience minimal discomfort which can me managed with Mortin or Advil.  On rare occurrences a patients has needed something stronger.  A lot of factors will determine whether a patient requires pain management.  Discuss it with the dentist placing the implant.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist