Do I Take Pain Pills to Remove Stitches?

I have read alot of stories, on here. When it is time to remove the stitches around the areola and down the breast.....do I take the prescription pain pills an hour before that time or is it not a big deal and not take any?

Medication prior to suture removal

+3

I usually use absorbable sutures for breast reduction, but in general, suture removal is not that uncomfortable.

Pain Medication Not Necessary For Suture Removal

+2

It is not necessary to take pain medication for suture removal, even in sensitive areas like the areola.  At worst, you may feel a pulling sensation, but pain is extremely uncommon with suture removal.  

Mark Schwartz, MD

Pain medication prior to suture removal

+2

It is not necessary to take narcotic pain pills before suture removal for breast surgery. If you do , do not drive yourself to the office. The current trend for suturing uses mostly buried dissolvable sutures, so very few need to be removed.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Self-medication for suture removal

+2

You can self medicate when having your sutures removed but it is usually not necessary.  If you do self medicate do not drive yourself to the office.  

Pain pills are really not needed for suture removal after breast reduction.

+2

Someone exquisitely sensitive to pain might benefit from pain pills before suture removal but most patients can tolerate it quite easily. If pain pills are taken prior to suture removal it is important that someone will comes along to drive the car.

Suture Removal After Breast Surgery

+1
Pain medication is not tyically necessary for suture removal.  If done carefully, suture remvoal is virtually painful.  Good luck with your appointment. All the best.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon