Immediately post-op explantation. Can I take Benadryl?

Hello. My explant surgery was done today and I feel great. I was given Benadryl by IV , Fentanyl by IV, and also Clindamyacin by IV. My question is, can I continue to take Benadryl with the Keflex and Vicodin to minimize the level of the itching? I forgot to ask- was a little out of it. Thank you!

Benadryl after Breast Implant Removal Surgery

+1
Good to know that everything went well! Just to be safe, I would suggest you call your doctor and ask.  

Benadryl and post-op surgery

+1
It is always a good idea to speak with your surgeon about your post-op medication. Best of luck with your surgery.

Continuation with Benadryl

+1
I'm glad that you had successful surgery. He certainly can continue to take that mixture of medication. The question is if you're teaching do you have an allergy to the pain medication. As a definitive answer I definitely would call your plastic surgeon.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+1
Glad you are doing so well!  Benadryl is safe to take after surgery, but always ask your surgeon first!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Itching

+1
In terms of itching, first thing I'd want to make sure of is to check whether you are having any allergic reactions - to the tape, to other medications, etc.  Do you have a rash near your incisions?

If the answer is "yes",  certainly let your surgeon know.  Otherwise, it is safe to use an antihistamine.  But Benadryl has a sedation side effect - so you might want to choose one of the non-sedating ones, like Claritin or Zyrtec, unless you want to sleep a lot!  Also, the dosing interval of the antihistamines will be different than the dosing interval of your pain meds - so don't take an antihistamine with every pain pill.

Thomas Fiala, MD

+1
Probably yes - but there is NO question that what you need to do at this stage...a few hours post-op at most...is to contact the surgeon (or team) that is taking care of you and make sure that you don't take anything that you shouldn't be taking.  This is not something that can be addressed responsibly in this forum.

Sorry, but I hope that this helps,

Dr. E
Member of RealSelf100

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

+1
Best medical practice dictates that you obtained advice regarding the use of medications directly from your plastic surgeon. Assuming you have no allergies and take the appropriate doses, there should be no problem with this plan. Best wishes.