What Options Are Available Besides Bariatric Surgery?

I am a 43-year-old female, 180 lbs, BMI30, no health problems. I have been exercising at least 5 days a week for over a year and have not lost weight. I would like to have bariatric surgery but I do not qualify for it. What options exist for people like me? I mean, aside from diet and exercise, as it clearly does not work?

The FDA has approved some medications that help with weight loss if your BMI is at least 27 or higher. The medications that have been around for a while are phentermine and diethylpropion. The newest medications approved for obesity include Liraglutide, orlistat (Xenical) , lorcaserin (Belviq), phentermine-topiramate (Qsymia), and bupropion/naltrexone (Contrave). These medications have the best results when coupled with a clinician monitored nutrition and exercise plan. You can find a Bariatrician, medical doctor that specializes in weight loss medicine, in your area by searching on the asbp website.

San Antonio Bariatric Surgeon

9910 Huebner Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78240

Weight loss surgery with BMI of 30

Presently there are no bariatric surgical procedures that you qualify for.  We hoping that the Lap-Band will be approved by the FDA in the next 6 - 8 months and then you will qualify but insurance would not cover the procedure.

Shawn Garber, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

125 Mineola Avenue
Roslyn Heights, NY 11577

Weight loss surgery for low BMI patients

A patient with a low BMI (30) and no medical problems is hard to justify a weight loss surgery procedure. Even a lap band has complication and would be too agressive to do on a pt with a BMI of 30.  Currently patients with diabetes and a BMI of 32 would be a better candidate for this surgery when talking about patients with a "low BMI".

Ricardo M. Bonnor, MD, FACS
Houston Bariatric Surgeon

21720 Kingsland Blvd
Katy, TX 77450