What Are Possible Causes for a Stomach Not Being Flat After the Removal of 2000cc's? (photo)

I had liposuction of my stomach and flanks 16 months ago, but despite the removal of 2000 cc's my stomach is not flat. I'm not overweight (5'2", 135-140lbs), and definitely expected a flatter stomach after the removal of approximately 2 liters of fat. What are some possible causes on my ongoing belly bulge after lipo?

What's the true diagnosis

It can be one or more of several diagnosis, several previously mentioned.

If you have had one or more pregnancies, you probably have some separation of the abdominal muscle layers (diastasis rectii).

Secondly, you may carry fat around your intestines. This goes by several names like gut fat, visceral fat, intestinal fat, etc. Even with a relatively normal BMI, some people carry more of that type of fat, giving a fuller abdomen. Many men fall into this category.

Thirdly, loose skin can be deceptive and look and feel like fat.

Your BMI is right at the normal/overweight border.  

My guess is that you have had at least one pregnancy and carry a little extra weight, and a significant amount of that is gut fat.  

Based on your numbers, your BMI is 25. Removing 2,000 CC's of fat from just the abdomen on someone 5'2" with a BMI of 25 would be a little unusual unless other areas were treated as well.

You have two options if you want to flatter abdomen.

1. Lose some weight (get rid of the gut fat) and do lots of abdominal exercises (strengthen abdominal muscles).
  2. Get an evaluation to see if you would benefit from a tummy tuck.
My personal recommendation is to go with number one.

Here are some thoughts on weight loss.

1. Eat small meals throughout the day. Many times when I talk to patients with weight issues, they tell me they eat once or twice a day. That's very bad if you want to keep you weight down. 
  2. Don't go hungry. It's tempting to think we can lose weight by not eating. In reality, we tend to over-eat after not eating for long periods of time, causing more weight gain.
  3. Be careful of foods with high glycemic loads and especially fatty foods with high glycemic loads. The perfect example is mashed potatoes (potatoes and butter/cream). Don't eat those foods. If you do, then only eat tiny amounts.
  4. Exercise is great, but it's generally not a good strategy for weight loss. Most people do not burn many calories when they exercise. There are exceptions, but most people with weight issues do not fit in that category. Exercise makes us hungry and can give a sense of entitlement to over-eat. By all means, work out! Just realize weight is 90% diet. Exercise is 90% fitness (not weight management).

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.