Is there any way to get rid of a seroma besides draining?

I have had a seroma since 3 days after my drains were removed. I'm 5 weeks post op and have had it drained 4 times now, it started with 60 cc of fluid. I've had it drained once a week since then. I just had 25cc drained yesterday and can see more fluid building already. What can we do to stop the fluid from building. I'm using two compression garments; a suit and a wrap over the top of it.

Post op Seroma

+3
Your plastic surgeon is taking the right measures to address the problem. Most seromas do resolve with aspiration & compression.

Considering that it's been over 5 weeks since the first aspiration, it might have formed a cavity which may require surgical intervention. Do discuss the possibilities and the treatment with your PS, I am sure he will be able to help you out. All the best!

India Plastic Surgeon

+1
Your surgeon is taking the right steps to resolve your seroma outside of surgery.  Try limiting your activity and wear your compression garment like you are doing.  Good luck. ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Seroma after tummy tuck

+1
It does sound as though your plastic surgeon is taking the appropriate steps to resolve your seroma.

At 5 weeks there is any increasing possibility that a seroma cavity will form.  If that does occur eventual excision of the cavity may be required.  Please discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Chronic seroma treatment

+1
Most seromas do resolve with repeated needle aspiration, but some do not.  Another option would be to insert a drain like a Seromacath into the seroma for a week or so to allow it to stay flat and hopefully seal up.  If this doesn't work, an irritant called a sclerosant can be injected into the seroma space, the aim of which is to irritate the lining of the open area and promote scar closure.  In the most stubborn of cases, a return trip to the operating room is warranted to remove the chronic seroma lining and directly close the open space.  Hopefully your seroma will resolve without these more aggressive steps, but your surgeon should be willing to support you through the process.

Andrew Wolfe, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Seroma treatment

+1
It sounds like you and your surgeon are doing everything that is usually done to make the seroma resolve. It usually takes a few drainage procedures for it to resolve completely. Try to wear your compression garment at all times and limit your activity as much as possible. Most seromas resolve with the treatment plan that you are on. 

Luis H. Macias, MD