Is It Normal to Have Internal Stitches Push out of the Skin? (photo)

I am 3 weeks post op and just noticed some of my internal stitches are pushing there way out. I pulled one out thinking it was dry skin ( that is where the red dot is) beside it is the other stitches that is pushing out of my skin. All of my external stitches have been taken out at 2 weeks post op. Is this normal?

Egress of buried sutures through the wound fairly common after breast reduction.

Dissolvable stitches sometimes works their way through the incision before they completely dissolve. This is called "spitting" and is fairly common. They will have no long-term effect on the outcome.

Sutures coming out

is not 'normal' but it does happen.  Usually they are self-limiting problems but you should inform your surgeon so the sutures can be removed if several are showing themselves.

Curtis Wong, MD

Spitting sutures

What you describe is very common. Not to worry. It's a nuisance not a problem. See you doctor.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon