Is It Normal to Have Internal Stitches Push out of the Skin? (photo)

I am 3 weeks post op and just noticed some of my internal stitches are pushing there way out. I pulled one out thinking it was dry skin ( that is where the red dot is) beside it is the other stitches that is pushing out of my skin. All of my external stitches have been taken out at 2 weeks post op. Is this normal?

Egress of buried sutures through the wound fairly common after breast reduction.

+1

Dissolvable stitches sometimes works their way through the incision before they completely dissolve. This is called "spitting" and is fairly common. They will have no long-term effect on the outcome.

Sutures coming out

+1

is not 'normal' but it does happen.  Usually they are self-limiting problems but you should inform your surgeon so the sutures can be removed if several are showing themselves.

Curtis Wong, MD

Spitting sutures

+1

What you describe is very common. Not to worry. It's a nuisance not a problem. See you doctor.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon