No Protective Eyewear Provided During GentleYAG Laser Hair Removal Treatment on Chin?

Went to a supposedly experienced MD (cosmetic/laser dermatologist) for laser hair removal on my chin. She treated my type IV skin for the first time today with the GentleYAG. At no time did she provide me with protective goggles or even tell me to close my eyes. I had my eyes open during most of the procedure. Is that normal or acceptable? Is there any reasonable explanation of how an "experienced" practitioner would not think to protect my eyes? What damage might have done to my retina? Thanks.

Eye Protection and Laser Treatments

+2

Eye protection must be used by both the patient and the person performing the treatment if a laser is being used.  Failure to do so can lead to serious ocular injury in some cases.  Symptoms of ocular injury from laser treatment can include blurred vision, sensitivity to light, pain, and decreased vision.  Laser injury to the eye is noticeable almost immediately after the treatment is performed.

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye protection and laser treatments

+2

I can't really say why this experienced physician wouldn't have given you eye protection goggles....or used them herself? Safety is an important part of any treatment and eye protection should be used by both the patient and the technician. I very much doubt you did anything to your retina, but I would absolutely ask your treating provider about the usage (or lack thereof) with eye protection. To me, there is no reason in the world why someone would neglect this aspect of treatment.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Eye protection must be offered with all skin/ hair laser treatments

+2

All lasers have the potential risk of eye injury obviously the farther away the treatment is from the eyes the less the risk. Each laser has different eye injury risk but none have zero risk. Your particular treatment would have low risk of eye injury but you should have at least been instructed to close your eye yes. 

Richard Fitzpatrick, MD (in memoriam)
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyewear protection

+1

Eyewear protection is paramount with every laser treatment.  Even if the procedure is away from the face, you should wear protective eye wear during the procedure.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye protection should be used for all laser treatments.

+1

Eye protection should be used by the patient and technician for any laser procedures.  You should question this in the future.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Eye Protection for laser treatment

+1
Protective eyewear should be worn during all laser hair removal procedures. Clinicians wear a type of goggle that allows them to see. In some cases patients wear goggles that obscure their vision

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon