How is Nipple Sensitivity After Breast Reduction?

I'm having a Breast reduction and will not be able to keep my nipple intact. Is there anyway detaching the nipples can be avoided and what problems can I expect to have from the nipples being removed and reattached?

I'm having a breast reduction in July. My doctor told me that at my size he will not be able to keep my nipple intact. I'm basically going to have no nipple sensation after the reduction? I'm a 36J in bra size. During my initial consult from collar bone to nipple it's about 43cm.

Free nipple graft means numb nipple

+2

If you are having a free nipple graft, you will have numb nipples because the nerves are completely severed.  They also will not react to cold or stimulation.  Even with your measurements, I wouldn't jump straight to a free nipple graft procedure. I would do an inferior pedicle technique and see how the blood supply looks during surgery.  At least that way, I would know we've given you every chance to keep your nipples intact.

Nipple sensitivity after breast reduction depends on how tissue is removed

+2

For many years it was thought that loss of sensitivity depended on how much weight was removed from the breasts. However, more recently, researchers have linked postoperative nipple sensitivity with the surgical technique used. A 2005 study compared five different breast reduction techniques and revealed that removing tissue from the base of the breast leads to significantly lower postoperative nipple and areola sensitivity. In fact, the only people who ended up with completely insensitive nipples were those who underwent this type of surgery, and it occurred 48% of the time.

Schlenz I, Rigel S, Schemper M, Kuzbari R. Alteration of Nipple and Areola Sensitivity by Reduction Mammaplasty: A Prospective Comparison of Five Techniques. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005;115(3):743-751.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Free nipple graft and sensation

+2

By removing your nipple and areola from your breast during your breast reduction, the sensory nerves will be divided. As a result of this when the nipple is repositioned at it's new location as a graft, it would be very rare for there to be any return of sensation. By virtue of your current breast size it would be difficult to maintain sensation and blood supply leading to a higher risk of nipple loss and wound healing problems.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Free nipple grafting and sensation

+2

From what you described, it sounds like you are having a free nipple graft breast reduction. After this procedure, you will not be able to breast feed and it is unlikely for you to have erogenous sensation in your nipples. You may not have any sensation at all. Some people do get back deep pressure sensation.

How is nipple sensitivity after breast reduction?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question!  With that large of a breast reduction that it sounds like you will have, it is not uncommon to have some changes in your sensation.  Consideration for a free nipple graft should be discussed.   Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Nipple Sensation Following Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

The breast reduction technique that you describe is utilized for extremely large breasts with severe breast sag. This procedure involves totally removing the nipple areola complexes and replacing them as free skin grafts. Unfortunately when this procedure is utilized the nerves are divided and the nipple no longer has sensation.

Traditional breast reduction techniques leave the nipple areola complexes attached to the underlying breast tissue. In women with significant breast sag, this can put the blood supply to the nipple areola at risk and potentially cause tissue loss.

If you’re concerned about nipple sensation, it’s important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. Depending on your anatomy, tolerance for risk and aesthetic goals, your surgeon may have some latitude regarding the choice of breast reduction technique used. Another approach may be possible that preserves nipple areola sensation and ultimately meets your aesthetic goals. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

How is Nipple Sensitivity After Breast Reduction

+1

After a routine breast reduction nerve sensation returns to normal but is sometimes delayed.  If your breasts are extremely large then a nipple amputation must be performed and the nipple areolar complex will have to be reattached to the reduced breast at the correct location as a free nipple graft.  These usually heal well but the sensory nerves are cut so there will be no sensation. However, patients have reported that they have some nipple erection with sympathetic stimuli.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Nipple Sensation after Breast Reduction?

+1

Some patients require “free nipple grafting” when undergoing breast reduction surgery. These patients generally have very large breasts and a long distance from the sternal notch to the current nipple areola position.  Patients who require nipple/ areola grafting  will not have any sensation after surgery.  These patients are generally pleased with the results of the surgery nevertheless given the relief of symptoms ( at least partial)  after the breast reduction surgery.

Most patients undergoing breast reduction surgery however do not require free nipple grafting;  the majority of these patients will have normal sensation of the nipple/areola after surgery.

Nipple sensation after breast reduction

+1

If you are planning to have a free nipple graft with your breast reduction, then you may lose your sensation.  However, not all breast reductions require the complete removal of your nipple (free nipple graft).  The technique used will often times determine the chances of losing nipple sensation, which generally is in the 10% range. If your breasts are extremely large and your surgeon is concerned about the blood supply to the nipple/areola then a free nipple graft offers the best chance at preserving the nipple, but not necessarily it's sensation.

If you are unsure about this issue, please ask your surgeon to review the technique again with you so you have a better understanding of the surgical plan.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Nipple sensation after breast reduction

+1

Patients today have many excellent choices in breast reduction surgery. The amount of nipple sensation after surgery depends on the surgical technique that was used. In our practice we almost never remove the nipple from the underlying tissue. This is so that we can preserve the structures of the nipple and the sensitivity. If you are going to receive a surgery where the nipple is completely removed and then placed as a free nipple graft onto the new breast, you will lose almost all sensation to the nipple. After your healing process, you may have minimal sensation to touch in this area.

Be sure that you're working with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience with breast reduction techniques. Ask your surgeon of the multiple techniques that may be used for your surgery in which technique may prevent removing the nipple in the first place.

Pat Pazmino, MD