After breast augmentation, do the scars around the nipple cause it to be less sensitive?

I am curious to know how the scar around the nipple affects the sensitivity of the nipple after it has healed.

+1
   There are multiple factors in sensation.  The cutaneous contribution that is altered with the skin incision is very small with regard to sensation.  I perform all incisions so that patients can decide what is right for them.

Scar and sensation

+1
while it is true that any scar location can lead to sensation changes a nipple scar does potentially divide more nerves near the nipple and could possibly affect nerve sensation in this manner a little more than other incision options. 

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Nipple sensation

+1
Any type of augmentation may cause a change in nipple sensation, either temporary or permanent. Usually there is no permanent loss of sensation.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Nipple Sensitivity After Breast Augmentation

+1
You may temporarily have changes in nipple and areola sensation after a breast augmentation, Some patients actually have hypersensitivity (increase sensation) after this surgery. 

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Trans-areola are breast augmentation incision should not decrease nipple sensitivity

+1
Thank you for your question.  Normally, when periareolar breast augmentation is properly done nipple sensation remains intact.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Nipple sensation after a peri-areolar incision

+1
When the peri-areolar incision is made for breast augmentation, the sensation is usually retained, although the nipples may have some slight decreased sensitivity for a while.

This incision usually heals quite well and becomes inconspicuous over time.  

However, recent trends in breast augmentation surgery have suggested that use of the infra-mammary fold incision can result in lower rates of capsular contracture and are generally a bit safer.

Best to consult with several surgeons and gather their opinions -- then go with the surgeon with whom you have the most comfort and confidence.

Good luck!

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS
New York City

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

The Peri areolar (around the nipple) incision does not affect the sensitivity of the nipple areolar complex

+1
There is no difference in nipple areolar sensitivity wether a peri areolar, infra mammary or trans axillary is used to augment the breast with a breast implant. There is infrequent but slightly higher chance of nipple areolar sensation decrease with the sub mammary placement of the implant as compared to the sub muscular but neither is very high. Regardless I feel that the most natural looking and feeling breast with the best scar is a peri areolar incision and a sub mammary placement of a textured gel breast implant. The only problem with this approach is when a woman has very thin breast tissue in the upper poll of her breast and in that case because of the risk of seeing or feeling the the ripples that are present in all breast implant, I recommend a dual plane approach. The incision is still in the peri areolar location, the inferior part of the breast is elevated down to the infra mammary crease and then the pectoralis muscle is elevated and the implant is placed below the breast in the bottom half and behind the muscle in the upper half. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

+1
The incision used to perform breast augmentation surgery does not necessarily affect nipple/areola complex sensation. The more likely cause of decreased or loss of sensation is injury to the intercostal nerves. 

Areolar scars

+1
When using the peri-areolar incision for breast augmentation, very few patients have problems with loss of nipple sensitivity. This scar also usually heals quite well and can be difficult to perceive if done well. But I have stopped using this incision because I have clinical evidence to suggest that the capsular contracture rate is higher when using this incision. I strongly prefer the breast crease incision for this reason. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon