Can Ultherapy Cause Natural Face Volume Loss (Not from Fat Graft or Fillers, but Natural Fat)?

I'm considering ulthera for lifting my jowl area, upper & lower cheeks. I have good volume but some sagging.I don't want to lose my natural cheek volume, is this a danger? Also, can it be used above the upper lip for some lip lifting? Thanks.

Will Ultherapy treatment cause Facial volume loss due to injury to natural fat?

+2

The answer to your question depends on the person operating the Ultherapy machine and the depth of the treatment. To obtain only skin tightening  then the layers treated should not involve the fatty layer. The great thing about Ultherapy as opposed to all other skin tightening technology out in the market, is that Ultherapy is an ultrasound machine that lets the doctor see exactly were he is delivering the energy!!! All other treatments put global heat energy out but are not concentrated at the area targeted and may cause fat loss. In cases were there is excess fat like in the neck it is possible to direct the treatment to "burn the fat" and decrease the fat volume. When used for tightening only The deep dermal portion of the skin and the SMAS (fibrous layer over the muscles) deepest are treated only.

Please see the attached link on my facebook page on July 17 for further information.

Best of Luck!  

Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy's Target is Jowls and Cheeks

+1

Ultherapy is my favorite new modality in our practice. I’m just now starting to see back patients we’ve treated 3 months ago and the results are really impressive.  Upper lip lifting we can try, but it’s not the primary target for this kind of lift. The other areas you’ve mentioned are very much at the top of our list for marked improvement.  Jowls and cheeks. Loss of natural cheek volume is not a risk. We’re not reducing tissue volume with this modality, rather, we’re challenging it to tighten with perfectly placed micro-traumas to the deep tissue. My only disappointment with the laser is that it takes 3 months to see improvement, but it’s well worth the wait!

Bobby Buka, MD

Ultherapy and Volume Loss

+1

Thank you for your question. Ultherapy deposits focused ultrasound energy below the surface of the skin to stimulate the body’s creation of new collagen. As a result, skin will actually begin to lift and tone over time. Collagen is a natural protein that gives skin its youthfulness by keeping it firmed, toned and elastic. The treatment will not reduce facial volume, only lift and  tighten the skin.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Ultherapy has not been shown to dissolve fat, only tighten and lift

+1

There is ongoing investigation if ultherapy can, in fact, thin out a thick neck as an example. The current protocols used have not shown fat atrophy to result from the energy, level or number of lines of treatment. As physicians, we are interested to see if any modification of the protocol, could induce some fat reduction, safely! I will await for scientifically-controlled medical studies to be performed and their results published before being able to comment further with any factual information.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Ultherapy for Lip Lift

+1

Ulthera is a great NON surgical option for lifting the face, jowl and neck area. In general, Ulthera will enhance your natural volume. There are new techniques, including above the upper lip that are being tested and used off-label. I recommend you talk to your doctor about treating the upper lip area.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy and fat loss

+1

Excellent question. Ultherapys focused ultrasound technology delivers micro thermal burns in the treated areas. Depending on the depth of treatment that may be fat. Ultimately the design of the treatment and delivery of the same is such to minimize fat reduction and tighten the SMAS to provide a lift. At times, I have used Ultherapy to intentionally decrease fat for example under the neck. Best of luck. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Ulthera should not affect facial fat volume

+1

Ulthera uses microfocused ultrasound energy targeted at collagen-rich layers under the skin. this in turn stimulates colalgen rebuilding for a lifting effect. Because it is not targeted at the fat, and the focusing is precise, there should not be a significant risk of affecting facial fat.

Richard Baxter, MD

Ultherapy will improve facial volume

+1

Ultherapy will likely stimulate collagen production and will lead to enhancing facial volume. It is highly unlikely that Ultherapy would cause facial volume loss. We occasionally combine Ultherapy with Sculptra (Sculptherapy) to further enhance facial volume by aggressively stimulating natural collagen production. I believe there are news tips and protocols that allow for perioral treatment with Ultherapy. However, I do not have personal experience with treatment of this area.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ulthera Does Not Reduce Facial Volume

+1

Due to the technology by which Ulthera uses, there is no risk for losing facial volume due to the procedure. The ultrasound deepSEE technology does not affect the adipose tissue or bone, which is what gives your face much of its volume. Instead, it focuses precisely on penetrating the structural tissues, signaling them to tighten and remodel collagen themselves. In fact, this tightening can actually accentuate what fullness you already have in your face, as the skin will be more taut around it. Hope this helps! 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD