New Scar on my Chin. How Long for Indentation to Even Out?

I have new scar on my chin. It is about 7 weeks since the injury. It is still healing. It is indented or slightly atrophic. How long does it take for indentation to even out?

+2

It will take about 6 months for the scar to mature and heal. Till then, no revisiion should be done.

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scars mature in about a year

+2

Scars typically mature by one year, and in surgery, we advise patients to wait a year until we consider surgical revision of scars.  While I would say that the majority of its aesthetic improvement will take place in 6 months, there is still remodeling taking place up to a year.  Hang in there, it should improve with time, but if it still bothers you I would consider seeing a physicians for scar revision.

Hope this helps.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar revision for a cheek scar that is depressed and whitened

+1

This depressed scar would benefit from a combination of fractional laser resurfacing and percutaneous scar release. I perform both of these scar removal techniques on a outpatient basis.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS