Do I Have to Have New Invisalign Retainer Made if I Need 2 New Crowns?

Invisalign treatment ended 3 yrs ago. Been in the last tray on the bottom since then. Now I need two new crowns on the bottom. Will the tray still fit after I get the new crowns or will I have to get/pay for new retainers? Not, happy this invisilign thing is turning into a MONEY PIT!

New retainers with new crowns

+1

It seems like you are very happy with the final results after Invisalign!! Retainers get loose with time, and if you had treatment done i will strongly recommend you get new set of retainers. Go over with your dentist, if you need any other dental work done before you take impressions for the retainers. Also ask for types of retainers more affordable for you. You will keep your beautiful straight smile with new retainers.

Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Old trays will most likely not fit, but...

+1

Perhaps you should consider asking your dentist or orthodontist to bond an ortho wire behind the teeth on the lower to stabilize them in their position.  Its a small wire, precisely adapted to the surface of your lower teeth (on the tongue side) and then bonded into place.  This is done quite frequently at the end of treatment since patients so often lose their retainers/don't wear them etc.  Ask your dentist to make sure you are a candidate for this.  If you are, then you won't have to worry with making another Invisalign tray/retainer as this is a more permanent solution.  

Tracy Shaw, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

New retainers are necessary after having new crowns.

+1

Unfortunately, you do need new retainers made after doing any major dental work. The good news is that you should have new retainers made every 3-6 months anyway. the original retainers lose their rigidity after a few months and should be replaced anyway. Invisalign offers Vivera retainers which will automatically be shipped to your home every 3 months. Ask your dentist about that option.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Will my invisalign tray fit after new crowns are placed

+1

Unfortunately invisalign is made to exactly fit your mouth. When changes are made to your teeth more than likely you will require new retainers.  However if they are made slightly smaller than you may not.  I would plan on replacing them and then if you do not need them you are happy.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist