Would Necklift Surgery Compromise One Who Has a Cochlear Implant?

I received a cochlear implant approx. 12 years earlier. I'm wondering if any surgeons would know if further surgery for neck or facelift would compromise the implant area?

Facelift cochlear implants

+3

I have performed many facelifts with cochlear implants and it has never been a problem.  I would urge you to discuss it with your surgeon to make sure they are comfortable with it.

Sincerely,

Dr Gartner

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Cochlear Implants and Neck Lift Surgery

+3

Dear patient from Nashville TN,

I have done several face and neck lift surgeries on patients with cochlear implants. As long as the incisions are below the cochlear receiver, it should be fine. Your Facelift surgeon and your Otologist should communicate and come up with the best solution for you. Good luck

Kevin Sadati, DO

Facelift or Neck-lift without incision behind the ear

+2
There are many ways to perform a face and neck lift. Techniques like the MACS Lift can significantly elevate both without any or only a minimal incision behind the ear in many people. If you have significant laxity of the neck skin, then a post-auricular incision will be necessary. However, this can usually be made without disturbing the implant.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Facelift after cochlear implant.

+2

Facelift after cochlear implant is probably ok. The best thing to do is check with the surgeon who put in the implant to make sure.

Would neck lift compromise my cochlear implant?

+1

I don't think your cochlear implant would be compromised by a face and neck lift but I'd want clearance from the surgeon who did the implant.  My only concern, and it's not a big one, would be the use of electrocautery during the face and neck lift.  I'd want to be sure the implant would be ok.

Cochlear implant and neck/lift, facelift

+1

As long as your surgeon is aware of your previous surgery and plan well for where the incisions should be placed, there shouldn't be a problem.  Just make sure you remember to communicate well with your surgeon so he/she can properly plan for surgery based on your particular anatomy.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Neck-lift will not compromise cochlear implant

+1

A face or neck lift would not compromise the cochlear implant. A modification of the incision on the side of the cochlear implant may need to be performed to avoid having the facelift surgery anywhere near the wiring for the implant.  

Facelift can be performed in a patient with a cochlear implant

+1

Yes, a facelift can be safely and successfully performed in a patient with a cochlear implant.  It is important that your plastic surgeon communicate with the otologist-neurotologist who placed the cochlear implant to ensure your incisions are made in such a manner as not to disturb the cochlear implant appartatus (receiver).  I say this to you as a physician who has completed training in both plastic surgey as well as otolaryngology.

Adam Schaffner, MD, FACS

Is it okay to have a facelift after cochlear implantation

+1

The standard location for your cochlear implant should not interfere with having a facelift or necklift.  To be sure I would discuss things with your plastic surgeon and neurotologist.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Cochlear implants and facelift surgery

+1

It is probably okay to have a facelift that can be modfied to accomodate the position of your cochlear implant. Have your surgeon discuss this with your implant specialist.