Would Necklift Surgery Compromise One Who Has a Cochlear Implant?

I received a cochlear implant approx. 12 years earlier. I'm wondering if any surgeons would know if further surgery for neck or facelift would compromise the implant area?

Facelift cochlear implants

I have performed many facelifts with cochlear implants and it has never been a problem.  I would urge you to discuss it with your surgeon to make sure they are comfortable with it.

Dr Gartner

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 Winslow Place
Paramus, NJ 07652

Cochlear Implants and Neck Lift Surgery

Dear patient from Nashville TN,

I have done several face and neck lift surgeries on patients with cochlear implants. As long as the incisions are below the cochlear receiver, it should be fine. Your Facelift surgeon and your Otologist should communicate and come up with the best solution for you. Good luck

Kevin Sadati, DO

359 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Facelift or Neck-lift without incision behind the ear

There are many ways to perform a face and neck lift. Techniques like the MACS Lift can significantly elevate both without any or only a minimal incision behind the ear in many people. If you have significant laxity of the neck skin, then a post-auricular incision will be necessary. However, this can usually be made without disturbing the implant.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

209 Hospital Drive
Highlands, NC 28741

Facelift after cochlear implant.

Facelift after cochlear implant is probably ok. The best thing to do is check with the surgeon who put in the implant to make sure.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Would neck lift compromise my cochlear implant?

I don't think your cochlear implant would be compromised by a face and neck lift but I'd want clearance from the surgeon who did the implant.  My only concern, and it's not a big one, would be the use of electrocautery during the face and neck lift.  I'd want to be sure the implant would be ok.

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Cochlear implant and neck/lift, facelift

As long as your surgeon is aware of your previous surgery and plan well for where the incisions should be placed, there shouldn't be a problem.  Just make sure you remember to communicate well with your surgeon so he/she can properly plan for surgery based on your particular anatomy.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD, FACS

9735 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Neck-lift will not compromise cochlear implant

A face or neck lift would not compromise the cochlear implant. A modification of the incision on the side of the cochlear implant may need to be performed to avoid having the facelift surgery anywhere near the wiring for the implant.  

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

Facelift can be performed in a patient with a cochlear implant

Yes, a facelift can be safely and successfully performed in a patient with a cochlear implant.  It is important that your plastic surgeon communicate with the otologist-neurotologist who placed the cochlear implant to ensure your incisions are made in such a manner as not to disturb the cochlear implant appartatus (receiver).  I say this to you as a physician who has completed training in both plastic surgey as well as otolaryngology.

Adam Schaffner, MD, FACS

461 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10016

Is it okay to have a facelift after cochlear implantation

The standard location for your cochlear implant should not interfere with having a facelift or necklift.  To be sure I would discuss things with your plastic surgeon and neurotologist.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104

Cochlear implants and facelift surgery

It is probably okay to have a facelift that can be modfied to accomodate the position of your cochlear implant. Have your surgeon discuss this with your implant specialist.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028