Neck Swelling After Exercise - Will This Ruin my Facelift Results?

I am 59 years old and am 11 weeks post-op after having a lower facelift, forehead lift, and upper & lower eyelid surgery. Around 8 weeks post-op, I began vigorous exercise again with my doctor's approval. However, my neck swells under my chin after exercise, and the swelling lasts a long time(often until the next day). Is this normal? Also, will having my neck swell and decrease in size repeatedly compromise the results of my lower facelift? Should I slow down my exercise?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Neck Swelling with Exercise Months after Facelift Surgery

+1

Hi Ready123 in Atlanta, GA,

As other face lift surgeons stated, swelling from exercise at 8 weeks may not compromise your face lift results.

The neck area may have decreased lymphatic drainage after plastic surgery, which promotes fluid accumulation and edema. This swelling with exercise is more common under the chin or upper neck due to gravity. To help reduce neck swelling, you may consider decreasing salt intake, applying ice, light compression with wrap, or gentle massage. Worrisome hematoma, blood clots, are typically seen only within the first fews days after cosmetic surgery. Speak with your face lift surgeon regarding these or any concerns. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/face-lift.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise aft er a face lift. When? How much? How Rigorous?

+7

I am very liberal regardina facelift and exercise.  I ask patients to walk but don't run for the first two weeks.  No gym for two weeks.  No straining for two weeks.  Just gentle progressive normal walking.   At two weeks I have allowed patients to go for it.  I tell them it may hurt to do it but THEY CANNOT AND WILL NOT HURT THEMSELVES WITH RIGOROUS EXERCISE.  I tell patients to let comfort be their guide after two weeks.  I feel strongly that after two weeks there is virtually zero rrisk of bleeding which is the main concern for the first two weeks.   At two weeks you may sky dive, bungie cord jump, or whatever.  If you swell a little or more so what? That will go away.  Sweating helps get rid of Sodium and will soon aid in swelling reduction.  I know I am quite liberal on this and other surgeries;  all are told to go for it after two full weeks post op.  Now understand that if some problem comes up during the first two weeks,  (infection, wound problems, etc), my advice will take this into account and a more conservative approach will be applied.  I have follow this course for over 25 years and over 1700 + facelifts of all types and I have NEVER regreted getting patients exercising at two weeks.  People haveing cosmetic surgery are not invalids.  They are dynamic active people and they WANT TO GET ON WITH IT.  ONWARD I say.  My Best,  G Commons

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Swelling

+3

Transient swelling at 11-12 weeks with vigorous exercise in not uncommon. We incorporate low power ultrasonic massage in the post operative period to help minimize and speed up the resolution of the swelling. I do not feel it will compromise your results. If swelling persists however, call your surgeon. Good Luck!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/facelift.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Face and neck post surgical swelling after exercise

+2

No it will not ruin your facelift and other facial surgery but will simply slow down the time for your final result.

Here is what I have found to help n many cases:

If it is just upper neck consider wearing an elastic chin strap after exercise at night
Localized lymphatic massage - your surgeon can demonstrate for you

Continued head elevation
Low Salt diet
No heavy lifting or intense exercise - rather focus on toning, low wt, high repetitions

Good luck

Excercise Afte A Facelift

+2

hi Ready123-

After face lift surgery vigorous activity can resume after about 6 weeks. There will be some additional swelling as the activity level increases, but this should have not long term consequences. You should listen to your body. If your swelling is lasting into the the next day, perhaps you should back off a bit and check with your surgeon.

Sincerely,

Tom Kaniff

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Exercise 8 Weeks After Facelift

+2

At 8 weeks postop, there are aspects of healing that a patient is aware of, but that others do not.  Some degree of swelling after exercise is not unusual and probably relates to lymphatic swelling.  This will resolve itself in the next few weeks to months; the swelling will not compromise your result.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise associated swelling post face lift

+2

Dear Facelift Patient from Atlanta,
Slight swelling associated with vigorous exercise, eight weeks post facelift, is normal. It will not compromise the long term results. Good luck and good healing…..Dr. Sadati

Web reference: http://www.galleryofcosmeticsurgery.com/face-procudures/face-lift.html

Swelling in the face

+2

Swelling even a few months after a facelift can happen especially after exercise. This usually gets better with time and may occur with exercise for several more months.

Neck swelling 11 weeks after a facelift

+1
The swelling that occurs with exercise at 11 weeks after the facelift will not harm the results. The swelling is  simply a result of the physiology of exercise and working out and  should dissipate over the next few months after the procedure when you work out. In our practice, patients have no restrictions on exercise 3 weeks after their  face lift procedure

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/facelift_photos.html

Swelling after surgery

+1

Swelling is very normal after any type of surgery that elevates a skin flap.  The swelling is due to division of the lymphatic drainage channels, and these take quite a bit of time to heal / recover.  Swelling is more notable after anything that increases your cardiac output (ie: increased heart rate with exercise).  Two months after a surgery is a very reasonable time to resume vigorous exercise.  Don't be concerned about the swelling - it will not ruin the results!  You can wear some compression garment at night while you sleep to help "push away" the swelling, so that it does not appear as visible.  (Most of the time it will resolve by itself overnight, but the garments speed up the process.)

Dr.B

Web reference: http://www.dallasfacesurgery.com/facial-surgery/face-neck-lift.cfm