Why is my Neck Sagging 4 Weeks After Neck Lift?

i am 56 years old and 4 weeks ago i had a lower face lift thar included a neck lift and playtsma tightening. A ago I had lipo suction under my chin. I am still healing, with numbness by my ears and under my chin. I am noticing that as rhe swellimg goes down thete is u saggy skin on my neck. There are improvements but i am hoping this skin sagging will tighten up I am not over wieght. on my two week check up the PS said my surgery was a great success.Will tightening occur?

Will loose neck skin tighten further than it is 2 weeks after face and neck lift

+2

Although swelling takes months to resolve completely after a traditional face and neck lift, the skin will never be more taught than it is during the first several weeks after the face and neck lift.  There's no magic that makes the skin shrink months after the procedure IMHO.

Neck lift

+2

You may or may not achieve the success you hope for. Often at 54 you  need more than just a neck lift.  WIthout doing the face, parts of the upper neck may not look as good.

Sagging skin after Necklift

+2

Spokane6975, don't fret, you are still very early!  It's hard to say if this result is going to be permanent without knowing more details.  I would suggest you continue to wear your neck compression garment at night.  Ask your plastic surgeon if they offer lymphatic massage, which won't tighten your neck but may help the swelling to go down in a symmetric way.    Also know that a revision procedure cannot be done this early and that you really have to wait things out for a little while.  Good luck!

Ryan N. Heffelfinger, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recurrence of neck looseness after lower facelift

+2

Your problem may lie in the type of procedure performed... or not.

Many minilifts or neck-only lifts do nothing for the jowl area, and little to pick up and adjust the deeper, or SMAS, tissues.  They are just not powerful enough.  Once the swelling goes down, the disappointing results become apparent.

Fortunately, it is possible to revise the necklift and correctly elevate and fix the SMAS to a higher position.

This assessment is quite speculative, however, and we don't see a photograph of your before-after pictures and a description of what was done in surgery, so nobody can do anything more than speculate and speak generally about procedures.

In some cases, no matter who the surgeon, the neckline will not be perfect if there is a large amount of soft tissue to adjust or if the bone support is not adequate.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Lower face lfit and sagging

+1

It can be difficult to remove the extra skin in a lower face lift thorugh limited incisions.  I rarely offer my patients a lower face lift/neck lift alone because the extra skin is best removed and the entire face is addressed through a full face and neck lift.  If the lower face is sagging, the upper face certainly is as well.  Make sure you are seeing a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Samer W. Cabbabe, M.D.

Board - Certified Plastic Surgeon

St. Louis Plastic Surgery Consultants

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Judging final results after necklifts takes time

+1

At 4 weeks after your surgery, it is too early to judge final results. There is likely still a fair amount of swelling under your chin and jawline.

If, after 4-6 months, you still have concerns, seek out an experienced facial plastic surgery specialist.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift sagging

+1

It is possible to have some swelling and sagging after surgery, especially this early on.  Wear a gentle compression wrap and make a more careful assessment in about 2 months or so.  It is possible that the liposuction may leave some excess skin behind but it is too early to tell.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Swelling can hide the final appearance for more than three months after a neck lift and liposuction

+1

Many patients who have neck liposuction see swelling distort their features for a few months after surgery. If the liposuction is combined with surgery, such as a neck lift, platysmaplasty, etc. then the swelling can be more severe. Keep your followup appointments and see the improvement along with your doctor. Many patients are told by their surgeons that they should wear a compression garment which may help make the swelling recede faster.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Will neck sagging improve 4 weeks after neck lift?

+1

It is hard to say whether your neck skin will tighten further at this stage (especially without seeing you in person and examining your neck).

However, there is more healing to occur and your skin may tighten some more. Continuing to wear your compressive neck dressing at night may help with this process.

At 56 the neck skin may not have enough elasticity to contract fully after neck lift. This can be improved with a facelift procedure to tighten the underlying muscles and remove excess skin.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Swelling after Neck Lift

+1

Hi Spokane6975-

Swelling after neck surgery is generally 90% better after twelve weeks. Sleeping elevated and wearing a support strap at home and at night help. Long term neck lift results really depend on the quality of the neck skin - it's elasticity, sun damage and genetics. Be patient - it's still early ion the process.

Sincerely,

Tom Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon