Will my Breasts Ever Look Normal? 1 Week Post-Op Breast Implants They're Really High.

Im 5"4 115 lbs i am 9 days post op and am still traumatized ...i recieved a 492 cc midrange silicone gel breast implant under the muscle .. .My implant is rather high and my breasts look somewhat squareish..i mean am i being unrealistic with the recovery period i thought my breasts would look somewhat normal after surgery.

Breast Appearance 1 Week after Breast Augmentation

+4

It is not uncommon for patients to feel that their breast implants are “riding high”  and are somewhat “squareish" looking 9 days after surgery. It takes time for the lesson plans to settle/drop/“fluff out”. This time  require may be several months.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised that as implants settle down with time they will round out in appearance.

I was just continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon to communicate your questions and concerns.

Way to early to be concerned

+2

It is normal for larger implants to sit high under the muscle for several weeks after surgery.  I reccomend you discuss your concerns with your surgeon to help alleviate your fears.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

High implants

+2
You are in the early stages of recovery and it is normal for the implants to be high for a while after sub muscular augmentation. The implants should begin to settle about a month after surgery and will continue to drop over about six months. Give it time and have some patience. Also, continue to follow up regularly with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Augmentation - 1 Week Post-Op They're Really High

+2

It's WAY too early to even start to be concerned about this.  In general, the larger the implants relative to your overall size, the higher they sit initially and they longer it will take for them to drop.  This makes sense since you're waiting for the muscles (and other tissues) to stretch out and accommodate the implants.  492cc is a fairly large implant on someone your height and weight; of course, I don't know what you looked like before in terms of excess skin but the less of that you had, the more it points toward a longer time for them to drop.  No choice but to be patient.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

High Implants

+2

You are very early in your recovery and swelling and tissue tightness can contribute to your implants seeming too high.  I would recommend that you allow more time for your swelling to subside and for the implants to settle.  Even if they really are too high, surgery to correct this is usually not advised before waiting about three months after the initial surgery.

Donald Griffin, MD

To high after surgery

+2

Thanks for the inquiry.  Everyone looks too big tight and high right after submuscular augmentation. The setteling procees usually starts to become noticible after about 3 weeks and the final dropping and softening about six months.

Check in with your plastic surgeon just in case, but you sound normal at this time.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

High Breast Implants 9 Days after Surgery

+2

In most cases, the implants look high for a few weeks after surgery. Follow up with your plastic surgeon to see if a compression band may be useful.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Implants too high?

+2

It's impossible to tell without photos. two things for sure, there is still a good amount of swelling and it takes about 1-2 months for the implants to settle. The other is that you got pretty big implants for someone 5'4" and 115 lbs. So they are definitely going to look too high for longer and hopefully will settle fine. Keep your appointments with your surgeon for help.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Wait for implants to drop

+1
The way you look now is by no means how you'll look in a few months. Your implants need to drop and settle into position. At that time your breasts will take on a more natural appearance. Wait 4 months or so for this to happen.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Still Early To Evaluate Results

+1
Your breasts haven't dropped an fluffed since you're still early on in your recovery.

"Drop and fluff" refers to the gradual movement and change in shape that occurs to breast implants. When breast implants are first put into your body, they typically sit higher up in the chest. This is because it’s the path of least resistance – your body requires some time to adjust to their presence, regardless of whether they’ve been placed in a sub-mammary (between breast tissue and chest muscle) or sub-muscular (under both the breast and chest muscle). Immediately following surgery, you’ll find that your newly enhanced breasts appear very full and swollen, especially in the upper portion above the nipples. Your skin will most likely look very tight and your nipples may point slightly downward as well. This may make the shape and overall appearance of your breasts appear unnatural. Don’t worry, because they will change for the better, something casually known as “dropping and fluffing”. As your body accommodates to your new implants, you’ll notice that your breasts will gradually look more and more natural – the way you hoped they’d be! Over the course of about three to four months, your body creates new skin to accommodate the additional volume of your implants. This natural process is called “tissue expansion”, and relieves the tightness you may be experiencing. It allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast.

Although it's often called "dropping", it is more like "redistribution". The "fluffing" part refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.

Patients who experience this phenomenon at a higher rate typically:have a smaller body frame
are tighter skinned
haven’t had children

This is in comparison to a larger breasted, post-partum woman. Patients who have had implants placed sub-muscularly may find that their dropping and fluffing is more dramatic. For the few months this occurs, you may want to hold off on buying new bras. Because your breast shape will most likely change, you might buy a bra that hasn’t been fitted properly. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD