How Many Months Before Pregnancy Should We Stop Chemical Peels?

Peels not recommended during pregnancy

+1

Regardless of type of peel, none are recommended during your first trimester. That being said, if you are planning on becoming pregnant, you should stop 2 weeks before the time you are interested in trying. If you are using any retinoids, you want to stop at least 1 month before trying to become pregnant.

New Haven Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical peels and pregnancy

+1

It really depends on the chemical peel being performed. Most should be avoided during pregnancy and breast feeding. However, lactic acid peels may be safe to use since our bodies produce it naturally and lactic acid peels come from dairy like yogurt and milk. To be cautious I would talk to your OB/GYN and dermatologist first.

Otherwise, I would stop right away if you are activly trying to get pregnant or as soon as you suspect or know you are pregnant. Better to be safe, but I would still talk to your doctor. If you still want to continue with facial exfoliation treatments while pregnant microdermabrasion or dermaplaning may be best since they can be performed without any chemicals.

Joseph Serota, MD
Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Chemical peels and pregnancy

+1

When to stop chemical peels will depend on which peel you are using. The skin turns over every 6 weeks and this would make sense as a good time to stop ahead of pregnancy. In short, no one can answer your question with 100% certainty so check with your dermatologist to see what they recommend for the peel you are using.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist