A Month & a Half After my Ptosis Surgery, Still Not Seeing Results. Will I?

I had my 3rd ptosis surgery on Jan 27, my eye was almost correct & you can barely tell but for self esteem issues, I did the 3rd surgery anyways its been a month & a half and my eye is smaller than before & according to my doctor "its still puffy" there has been NO progress since the 2nd week of my surgery, my eye is smaller than before & the skin ontop is drooping over my eye lid, is this normal? I can open & close the eye, and see, just its smaller and I'm worried cause it now looks terrible.

Ptosis Surgery

+1

Swelling after ptosis surgery is normal and is to be expected. It is still too early to make a fair judgment about the progress of your eyes because it can take several months to see the full results of your eyelid surgery. Wait until healing is complete and swelling has reduced before passing judgment on the results of an operation.

Ptosis surgery

+1

ususally the results of ptosis surgery are noticed immediately if not in the first week with the swelling subsides

with that said it would be nice to know what technique was used

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Droopy eyelid surgery

+1

Katerina,

Be patient, you would be surprised how different it will look at two months after surgery vs. now.  Given that you've had a couple of surgeries already even a small amount of residual swelling can cause the lid to look distorted.  Be more patient and I would not do anything else to your eyelid for another 3 to 6 months.  The lid really will change over the next few weeks to months.  As oculoplastic and facial plastic surgeons we have all had patients with swelling that lingers.  Anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't done enough ptosis and eyelid work.  Give it time.  I would also advise against taking herbals or using creams to try and accelerate the resolution of the swelling.  I wouldn't hurt to get another consult.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis correction after multiple failed surgeries

+1

Ptosis (droopy eyelid) surgery, in general, is unpredictable.  The chances of success become lower which each additional surgery due to scar tissue.  There was one technique, however, that is useful in multi-operated eyelids to achieve a higher eyelid position (using full-thickness eyelid resection).  If your ptosis doesn't improve by 6 months after last surgery, you may be a candidate for this technique.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

No results 1 month after ptosis surgery

+1

Give it some more time - it can take several months for residual swelling to subside after eyelid surgery.  I agree with Dr. Steinsapir  - hopefully you are seeing an oculoplastic surgeon that is trained/ certified through the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons.  If not, I would recommend that you seek another opinion from a doc that's a member of ASOPRS but give yourself a few months to see how your lid heals.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Very frustrating situation.

+1

Sometimes, it is just not worth trying to get that last little bit of improvement.  Obviously both you and your surgeon thought it reasonable to try and get that last bit of improvement.  You best bet here is to let your eyelid heal for 6 to 12 months and see where you end up.  It is reasonable to look for some second opinions.  At a minimum you should be working with a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon for this type of work.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery has a geographic directory that can help you find well qualified surgeons where you live (asoprs dot org).