What is Healing Time for Mole Removal Scars & Holes?

I had a mole removed on my cheek by a shave removal 12 weeks ago which left me with a round hole the size of a pencil eraser that has filled in some. I was told that the hole would completely fill in. Any ideas on how long this could take. Would laser resurfacing help with the shadowing of the scar? I thought about going to a laser spa to see if they could help in anyway. Thanks!

Time Heals All Wounds (Usually)

+2

After having a mole removed by shave excision, you should wait for at least six months to allow the area to heal completely before judging the final results. In the technique of doing a shave excision, the mole is actually "shaved off" at a very superficial level just below the surface of the skin. This method is quite effective to remove moles and typically leaves a minimal scar. The procedure typically takes less than a minute, and is fairly painless. Laser resurfacing would not be a good idea at this time and could even make things worse. Ultimately, if the area does not properly heal, the scar can be excised to create a less visible scar.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Healing time for mole removal

+1

I would encourage you to wait at least 6 months for the area to heal before evaluating.  If after 6 months, the results are not what you expected, the mole can be completely surgically excised.  

Sam Naficy, MD