What is Healing Time for Mole Removal Scars & Holes?

I had a mole removed on my cheek by a shave removal 12 weeks ago which left me with a round hole the size of a pencil eraser that has filled in some. I was told that the hole would completely fill in. Any ideas on how long this could take. Would laser resurfacing help with the shadowing of the scar? I thought about going to a laser spa to see if they could help in anyway. Thanks!

Time Heals All Wounds (Usually)

+3

After having a mole removed by shave excision, you should wait for at least six months to allow the area to heal completely before judging the final results. In the technique of doing a shave excision, the mole is actually "shaved off" at a very superficial level just below the surface of the skin. This method is quite effective to remove moles and typically leaves a minimal scar. The procedure typically takes less than a minute, and is fairly painless. Laser resurfacing would not be a good idea at this time and could even make things worse. Ultimately, if the area does not properly heal, the scar can be excised to create a less visible scar.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Healing time for mole removal

+2

I would encourage you to wait at least 6 months for the area to heal before evaluating.  If after 6 months, the results are not what you expected, the mole can be completely surgically excised.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Shave Excision to Remove Moles

+1
Shave excision is one of the most common ways dermatologists remove moles in the office. Most every time, the area heals with only the smallest remnant of a scar, but once in a while, things happen in the woundhealing process that results in someone having a depressed scar.

When we do these kinds of procedures, many of us use special wound healing patches which help the skin heal faster and better than just leaving it alone or applying an ointment to the area. But again, sometimes,even when everything is done correctly, some skin depressions can occur. One can use a topical retinoid to the area to try to promote collagen growth in the area, and if this in not successful, in about 6 months, one can use one of the laser devices, or RF fractional, or RF needling devices to make the depression better.

You should go back to your treating physician and see what they say — and then find someone who has these tools at their disposal to help you minimize the skin depression.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon